Rent to include Service charges?

Warren

Hi guys,

Can anyone clarify for me what the norm is as regards what's included in Rental charges for a stand alone semi-detached house. Is it expected that Service charges such as bin charges (and water charges when they come) are paid by the tenant or the landlord?

Thanks,
Warren

Tenant would be paying both the refuse charges and water charges when they come except in the unlikely event that your Landlord specifically agrees to pay them

I will expect my tenant's to pay for water as it's a utility. Bins, I'm different to other landlords as I pay for this (out of rent, by telling the tenant it's included) as I want to make sure they are disposing of rubbish properly. If the tenant doesn't want to pay for water he can cut it off, doesn't bother me.

Like Bronte, I pay for bins as well although I agree that alot of landlords don't. I too would expect tenant to pay water charges. I'm waiting to see if theres a standing charge or a once-off installation charge. I have an excellent tenant for the past 3 years and it's important to keep him.Whatever you decide go with from the beginning of the lease as it will be difficult to change once tenancy is in place.

I used to pay bin charges for years but it didn't protect me from heaps of rubbish bags once tenants left.

I have stopped paying for the bins now because Dublin City council outsourced rubbish collection to some private company which introduced pre-payment cards or something, that's not practical for me to deal with as I live abroad. So presumably my tenants are paying for the bins now themselves, or maybe building up mountains of rubbish, I don't know, never heard anything from the letting agent about it.

I will expect them to pay for water.

Back