Can I open a non-resident savings account in France

billdavies63

France may not be as strong as Germany but I guess it's a lot stronger than Ireland. Is it possible to open a non-resident account? Any particular bank, or particular problems?

Banque populaire will open a non-reisdent account for you. I was thinking of putting my money there but was put off by the need to open a current account (with a monthly fee) and having to pay a fee to use internet banking. I also tried britline but they wanted proof of frequent travel to France before they'd open an account for me.

Some more details in this thread

http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=155454

HSBC France will open a non-resident account for you as well. Very highly recommended.

I opened accounts in Societe General and BNP on a visit to france. You can have non resident accounts. You need passport, proof of address (bills) and I think in the case of BNP I had to have a Irish bank statement with a bank stamp on it. I also brought a tax clearance cert.
You might want to make an appointment in the branch your hope to visit and ask for English speaker if thats an issue. Whole thing took a couple of hours. I dont pay fees as I only wanted online accounts without cards/chequebooks

That the same Societe generale that scrapped through the stress tests and is believed to need a load of capital as they own loads of soverign debt?

do you need to be there in person?

Do you need to attend in person to open an account with:

• HSBC France, and/or
  • Banque Populaire?

That the same Societe generale that scrapped through the stress tests and is believed to need a load of capital as they own loads of soverign debt?

Scrape through is a bit extreme. What European bank is not exposed do you mind me asking? They all are, and it's the ones that are quiet about it I would worry about more. The only way SG are more exposed than others is the fact that they own a greek bank. This bank also passed the test.
You can leave your money in Ireland if you wish but I will take SG and BNP.

Banque populaire in Nice has an international branch and they are great. [broken link removed]

No need to visit HSBC in person, they'll do it all via email / post / fax. They have an int'l branch in Nice as well on Rue Gubernatis.

hsbc are a horrible bank to deal with , they shaft you at every turn with exhorbinant fees and dont get me started on thier forex rates

I opened accounts in Societe General and BNP on a visit to france. You can have non resident accounts. You need passport, proof of address (bills) and I think in the case of BNP I had to have a Irish bank statement with a bank stamp on it. I also brought a tax clearance cert.
You might want to make an appointment in the branch your hope to visit and ask for English speaker if thats an issue. Whole thing took a couple of hours. I dont pay fees as I only wanted online accounts without cards/chequebooks

Hi Troy,
What are the interest rates and charges (if any) for their savings accounts?
Thanks,
John

I just have internet banking. With no cards or chequebook there are no fees. Interest rates are low, around the 2% mark.

I just have internet banking. With no cards or chequebook there are no fees. Interest rates are low, around the 2% mark.

Hi Troy, are you referring to BNP or S.G. I am interested in internet banking without cards or chequebook...and no fees. I'm going to France shortly, and will open such an account. Many thanks

Both, you might want to contact branch to make an appointment for the day your there. I was lucky to get a slot on walking in while in St Etienne, but they are very breaucratic over there so bring more than you think and allow a couple of hours for the appointment.

Back