cr card charge after 2 years

benny fitt

I have today been charged on my cr card for a train journey i took in italy in sept 2012 94€.
Visa first suggested i ring the Italian train company!!!.
When i politely pointed out the slight difficulties surrounding this they
said they would pass it on to their fraud department and i will hear from them in a week .

What i cant understand is how they manage to charge my current card a transaction made with a different card.She said something about it being "pushed through by them with an authorisation code".

she then suggested sending out a new card which i said yes to but whats the point if a charge can be "pushed through" from an old card.
Anyone any suggestions as to what to do?

Did you buy a tcket in Italy in 2012 ? It appears that you did so therefor owe the money. If so, what is your dispute ?

I assume I was charged at the time . Just to fill you in , it usually takes about a week for a European charge to appear not 2+ years

Oh OK. You are questioning whether you have already paid it. Can you ask your CC comapny to check whether this payment was taken in and around the time of the transaction. It does seem wierd that there is not a time limit on this similar to cheques. I'd wait and see what the fraud team uncover as surely this would be their first port of call.

What i cant understand is how they manage to charge my current card a transaction made with a different card.She said something about it being "pushed through by them with an authorisation code".

I assume she means it was authorised and an auth code issued back in 2012 so your card number changing in the meantime has no effect on the settlement.

I assume I was charged at the time . Just to fill you in , it usually takes about a week for a European charge to appear not 2+ years

I once got charged nine months later for an airline ticket I bought in an Irish travel agent.

Also bear in mind that some aspects of retail banking in Italy are about 20 years behind Ireland.

To clarify one point, the CC that was charged is a new one that you initially applied for in the last two years?

the charge has been refunded but what if i was of a timid disposition and obeyed the instruction to contact the phone co? Why do they train their staff to bounce back customer queries.It reveals a mindset full of arrogance and callous disregard for their customers.I would be ashamed to work in a bank.

Back