VHI & QUINN announce prices increases of 23% and 16% respectively

I'm not switching either as THE other choices are all into insurance in all areas wheras VHI is just into health care and the others will eventually up their prices any way. Also, rightly or wrongly, I think the others will eventually cherry pick to insure those who have nothing wrong with them just like car insurance where you're penalised for every fiddle faddle thing.

Maybe the others will increase their prices, and maybe they will start cherry picking (though that would be very hard under current open enrolment regulations), but until that starts happening, shouldn't you shop around and make the savings? As you say, the increases are very high, so the clearest way to get the point across that you don't want high prices is to give your business to someone else.

Obviously you are well within your rights to stay where you are, it's your choice and your money. But for my money, I'd be looking to spend as little as possible to get as much as possible out of it.

Re: Plan B VHI v Hibernian Health Level 2 ?

Well I'm on Plan B and the equivalents and comparisons are here:
(although prices are not updated with increases of VHI & Quinn & Hibernian Health's price reduction) I rang VHI to see what they said and of course they tried to tell me that I'd be better with another policy with add ons blah blah. You've had my money for over 30 years of membership with one claim ever where I had to pay an excess of £1. It's nearly €300 cheaper for Hibernian Health than VHI with more cover ! Oh yeah VHI did say that I could switch back to them without penalty if I wasn't happy with Hibernian Health.

You should also check out the HIA's website (www.hia.ie), as they have a more comprehensive listing of the alternatives out there. It's not the easiest document to read, and it doesn't list every health insurance product out there, but it's a start and it's an independent source.

....they have just announced a discounted price on most plans incepted on either the 21st or 31st of this month.....
I don't see any reference to this on the Hibernian website - how do you get this discount?

They've updated their website this morning - [broken link removed].

Similarly, my uncle is a retired consultant and he too was left on a trolley waiting for a bed. Had Plan C with the VHI and never got a private room (public hospital) either so it didn't work for him either. Making a call to a consultant that you know is a different story.

One buys health insurance for piece of mind and hopes that affordabibilty is maintained. I have toyed with switching in recent years and I am going to seriously look into it in the next couple of days.

Doesn't really matter what cover anyone has, lowest or higher plan, you can only get a private room if the hospital has it available, and the admitting Dr has some pull with the ward managers etc. the insurance company will pay up to the level you are covered to and have no input into what room anyone gets when they are admitted to hospital

One way to achieve this is to reduce your level of cover to just cover for basic hospital and consultant cover without unnecessary add ons irrespective of whether you are with VHI, Hibernian Health or Quinn.

You can do. AFAIK the only difference is that you will have a shortfall for the hospital charges. if lowest plan you have cover you for a semi in a publin hospital, then that what is paid if you go into a private room, Dr's get paid the same no matter what cover you have

I rang VHI to see what they said and of course they tried to tell me that I'd be better with another policy with add ons blah blah. You've had my money for over 30 years of membership with one claim ever where I had to pay an excess of £1. It's nearly €300 cheaper for Hibernian Health than VHI with more cover ! Oh yeah VHI did say that I could switch back to them without penalty if I wasn't happy with Hibernian Health.
well to be honest i would rather be 30 years + without a claim than having 30 a year.. would rather my health than wealth.
no one ever wants to claim from car insurance either but we have to pay high prices sometimes..

....they have just announced a discounted price on most plans incepted on either the 21st or 31st of this month.....
I don't see any reference to this on the Hibernian website - how do you get this discount?
heard it on the radio today, just said for "certain dates in december"

Just a quick note on the Hibernian offer, starting on 21/30 December.....
I went to the website and got a quote for "we" plan level 2 for 2 adults (both over 50, though I don't think that matters) and one child starting on 30 December for circa €1,300. This seems very reasonable compared to the new VHI fees for 2009 (approx. €1,900 for Plan B Options) and Quinn (approx, €1,700 for Essential Plus no excess). Am I missing something here or is this a genuinely better offer with no strings attached? Many thanks for any comments..... :)

No, you're correct. The price saving is pretty massive at the moment. Hibernian will eventually have to increase their costs so the savings will be a lot less next year but this is a great deal for this year for those that change before the 30th of Dec.
Also note that we are brokers for Hibernian health and are currently offering to make a contribution to a charity of choice for anyone changing to HH through us before the 30th of the month (note it doesn't cost anymore to go through a broker). So anyone that is looking to change might consider this before going directly to Hibernian as you might be able to help someone else as well as getting a good deal.

www.powerinsurances.ie

No, you're correct. The price saving is pretty massive at the moment. Hibernian will eventually have to increase their costs so the savings will be a lot less next year but this is a great deal for this year for those that change before the 30th of Dec.
Also note that we are brokers for Hibernian health and are currently offering to make a contribution to a charity of choice for anyone changing to HH through us before the 30th of the month (note it doesn't cost anymore to go through a broker). So anyone that is looking to change might consider this before going directly to Hibernian as you might be able to help someone else as well as getting a good deal.

www.powerinsurances.ie

Jimbob, if you don't mind me diverting the course of the thread for a sec, do you know how many consultants Hibernian fully cover? I can't find any figure or precentage on their website.

I know they have a list of their treatment centres on the back of their booklets (which can be downloaded from their site) but to get a list of consultants you'll need to contact them directly. Last time I talked to a rep they said that their list was similar to VHI and that if the consultant was not on their list then they would write to them on behalf of the client and ask them to join.

www.powerinsurances.ie

Last time I talked to a rep they said that their list was similar to VHI and that if the consultant was not on their list then they would write to them on behalf of the client and ask them to join.

sounds weird ! they copy the vhi list and then write to a Dr to Join if not listed/covered. Surely they would have written to all consultants in the country to ask them to register. Not pleasant for the patient to go checking to see if the are covered or not.

Back