Online book stores

[Amazon is the best. The marketplace sellers often good.

I use the Book Depository mostly. Abe Books is good, and ibuk is great for hard to find books. If you can't find the book you want try Bookfinder.com

I use the Book Depository mostly. Abe Books is good, and ibuk is great for hard to find books. If you can't find the book you want try Bookfinder.com

Sorry to bump.

Have been looking around for two books that I couldn't find anywhere else on line. Searched here, found the Book Depository and bingo! In stock, 50% off and free postage.

I left posting this to see how long they took to process and to arrive. Processing was a bit longer than amazon, overall process was 7-8 days from order to arrival (about the same as Play).

No connection to the site, just from checking against amazon, either comparable (with the free delivery) or cheaper, plus seemed to stock the obscure books I wanted that amazon didn't.

I've also used booksunlimited.ie. They're stock can be limited (despite their name), but they're very quick to come back and say when a book isn't available and you have the option of cancelling or waiting. Can be slightly more expensive on some stuff, but they're the pick of the Irish sites/stockists.

I too have found book depository very good. Amazon is good now too if ordering more than £25 worth of books as qualify for free postage but the former gives that no matter how small the order.

You can get pretty much any book in the country for just 50c via http://borrowbooks.ie.

The only catch is that you have to give it back after a few weeks. It is a great service for these recessionary times.

Ive used the book depository for 4-5 years now and have found them superb!

i save a fortune v buying books in Ireland

Hi,

I would give my vote to the Book Depository as well. I have bought a good number of books from them. Their prices are very good and they are alwaws spot on with delivery.

Just purchased 4 books from Book Depository now and it was €14 cheaper than amazon.co.uk. (amazon.com was more expensive - they were computer related books :)

the book depository facebook page gives 10% discount codes

alibris.co.uk cheap books, cheap delivery, have got a few second hands that were in mint condition for very little

Do you a a shop chain called "The Works" over there or up in the North?
I recently bought the 2011 Whittaker's Almanac in my local branch for £14.99 instead of the list price of £45.00. Many other books of all sorts for very cheap prices.

Just Googled and the web site is www.theworks.co.uk

Worth a look.
Had a look on the website and the shops on your side of the water are in:

Belfast, Lisburn. Bangor, Newtownabbey.

Not much good to you unless you live near to the border, or they deliver to the south.

The Works have also have stores in Enniskillen, the Banbridge Outlet and, for some weird reason, Killarney.

Last autumn they took over (or at least rebranded) the stores of the Bargain Books chain across NI. Bargain Books stores were great for all sorts of books, especially kids books and fiction.

In contrast, The Works stores have a comparitively narrow range of books and a lot of art materials and 'novelty' rubbish. Although you will find the odd bargain in The Works, I think that their prices are not cheap, and in overall terms they're not a patch on the old Bargain Books stores.

I just ordered 15 used books from awesomebooks at an average of less than £2 and the postage was free. Brilliant site.

LOL tvman, I bought 12 books for £17 (total) last week from awesomebooks... the problem now is that I need new book cases. It is a good site if you have the patience to trawl through the listings.

Billy bookcases from IKEA are the business - I was up north last year and picked up a load of them for dirt cheap. May have to make another visit soon

The Works have also have stores in Enniskillen, the Banbridge Outlet and, for some weird reason, Killarney.

In contrast, The Works stores have a comparitively narrow range of books QUOTE]

Must be different this side of the water as in my local store there is a vast range of books.

In contrast, The Works stores have a comparitively narrow range of books QUOTE]

Must be different this side of the water as in my local store there is a vast range of books.

The Works stores operate on the same model on both sides of the Irish Sea. Their book ranges are a lot narrower than the old Bargain Books stores.

Back