Need advice buying a small car

chewchew

Hi,

I'm looking to buy a new car and need it to satisfy the following criteria:

- Preferably a small car since I'll be using it mostly in the city. Also keeping the cost of tax and insurance down would be good.

- Nothing too girly...I'm a bloke!

- Reliability is a must, don't want to spend a fortune servicing it all the time.

Any suggestions welcome...Thanks:)

Subaru Justy 998 cc - [broken link removed]

same platform as the Daihatsu Sirion but with extras, no connection, just a happy customer.

4 doors 4 adults comfortably, decent boot.

Subaru Justy 998 cc - [broken link removed]

same platform as the Daihatsu Sirion but with extras, no connection, just a happy customer.

4 doors 4 adults comfortably, decent boot.
mathepac, I had a Justy out on courtesy 2 weeks back for a few days while my own was in and I wasn't too impressed. Its ok, but I'd rather have a Honda Jazz before a Justy any day.

... Its ok, but I'd rather have a Honda Jazz before a Justy any day.
That's understandable, if your don't look at the new car prices and other costs :

• Jazz 1.2 SE €16,300
  • Justy 1.0L €11,995 + low fuel consumption, low road tax, low insurance
I believe a €4.3k lower purchase-price and low running-costs should tick all the boxes OP specified.

Mazda all the way and for small reliability the 2 is great. No mirror though in the sun visor on the basic model ;)

I've never driven a Jazz but they have a great reputation.

I had a Yaris and that was great on fuel economy. Would get another. The new Polo is fab though. Feels like a much bigger car.

Good on fuel but may be a little girlie for OP.
That 1.2 VW engine is heavy on fuel unfortunately.

Polo consumption 1.2 would probably be similar to Mazda 2 1.3.

There is a lot of choice in this segment as people trade down. Fiesta is a nice looking car as well

I have a Mazda 2 1.5 petrol Sport SE.

Love driving it ...very nippy...and its got cruise control as well...

It would be worth test driving the new Fiesta. The (Ford loving) motoring press seems to agree that it is the new class leader in the small car segment.

That's understandable, if your don't look at the new car prices and other costs :

• Jazz 1.2 SE €16,300
  • Justy 1.0L €11,995 + low fuel consumption, low road tax, low insurance
I believe a €4.3k lower purchase-price and low running-costs should tick all the boxes OP specified.
didn't realise there was that much of a price difference, which is obviously not justified.

The fiesta or mazda would be also ones to consider.

I haven't really driven too many small cars recently but the 2 I had (Jazz & Justy), the Jazz was a fine car and very flexible for storage

How about a Skoda Fabia? Very reliable cars with lots of VW/Audi parts, and there's a 1.4 TDi with amazing fuel efficiency.

Sorry I have a Skoda Octavia, and I don't consider it reliable, too many niggley problems, mine had a leaking windcreen since new. Fabia has had probems with water leaks via the doors. Go from the latest reliability listing.

"Which" listing
BEST: Honda, Hyundai, Lexus, Mazda, Nissan, Smart, Toyota
GOOD: Daihatsu, Ford, Suzuki
AVERAGE: Audi, BMW, Chrysler, Daewoo, Isuzu, Jaguar, Jeep, Kia, Mercedes-Benz, Mitsubishi, Porsche, Proton, Saab, Seat, Skoda, Subaru
POOR: Alfa Romeo, Citroën, Fiat, Land Rover, MG, Peugeot, Renault, Rover, Vauxhall, VW, Volvo

Models vary in reliabilty for the same manufacturer, 2nd hand cars can be different, 2005 "What Car" listing:
http://www.whatcar.com/car-news/what-car-reliability-survey/the-top-100-cars/217350

Back