Breakdown Assist invalid if NCT out of date

Slim

Salutary tale. Due to a number of mechanical and bodywork isues, I did not renew the NCT on expiration in April. Then got the car fixed up but have not yet gotten around to booking NCT. Car refused to start last night, checked insurance and rang Breakdown Assistance this morning. As NCT has expired, no cover. My fault but this could hapen if NCT was out by only 1 day! Expensive lesson as car is 30 miles from home and towing will cost a small fortune!

Also, garageman told me this morning insurance co. would not transfer insurance to vehicle with no NCT, and it was only out a day!

Wow that is interesting and worth noting, on an aside I was in Kildare Village outlet yesterday and a car parked directly in front of me, tax expired 01/14 and NCT expired 08/13....it had an insurance disc.... ;-)

I hadn't realised that either, but it makes perfect sense.

"We will only give you breakdown cover if the car is at low risk of breakdown."

Brendan

Does it depend what insurance company is providing the breakdown cover?

I availed of breakdown service recently, and there was no question about the NCT. I suppose the guy might have checked the disc, but they certainly didn't say anything on the phone.

Does it depend what insurance company is providing the breakdown cover?

I availed of breakdown service recently, and there was no question about the NCT. I suppose the guy might have checked the disc, but they certainly didn't say anything on the phone.

I don't know. This was with Motorists Insurance Services, purchased through AIG. Clearly based up north, by literature and accents. Incidentally, this will be this car's 1st NCT.

You get what you pay for with "free" breakdown cover.

My policy has free breakdown cover but I would never use it. They only tow to their choice of garage, no onward assistance. I would rather give the AA 13 a month for peace of mind knowing that you are fully covered in the event of a breakdown.

I have breakdown cover through AXA with car insurance, have used it several times and find them great, never asked about NCT and would tow to either nearest garage, own garage or to your home. Never had to use these options as they restarted it each time thankfully.

Liberty Insurance policy schedule only mentions that the car must be roadworthy to avail of breakdown assistance, no specific mention of NCT. My mother's car is also insured with Liberty and on the one occasion that I used breakdown assistance on her behalf here wasn't a mention of having a valid NCT.

My policy has free breakdown cover but I would never use it. They only tow to their choice of garage, no onward assistance. I would rather give the AA 13 a month for peace of mind knowing that you are fully covered in the event of a breakdown.

Time - it wasn't 'free'. It was an extra €30 or so. I think I agree with you on AA in future!

123.ie includes onward assistance, and didn't haggle at all about choice of garage - they took mine to my preferred garage, about 5 miles away

http://www.123.ie/customer-care/my-...nal-benefits/what-does-breakdown-assist-cover

Have had 2 experiences with free breakdown assistance

1st was on my primary vehicle which broke down. Guy came out, fixed it on the spot and gave me his phone number if something happened on the way home. As far as I can remember he never checked NCT or Tax etc. Car broke down again on way home and he came back for me and towed me back to the house. It was 9.30pm so no garage open. Have to say it was great service

2nd was on a classic car (so NCT not valid). Car broke down while I was taking it to have the gearbox done (with spare gearbox in the boot). Informed insurance company of this on the phone. Tow truck came (albeit after 2 hours) and towed me all the way to the garage I was going to to get the work done. Left car there and he also gave me a lift to nearest public transport!

The experience with the AA has always been superb. Fantastic value and service.

Back