Rabbitte's TV tax quietly dropped

Dropped only "in the lifetime of this Government". That is the usual cop off phrase used. No doubt they will revisit it if they get back into Government.

"The proposed charge to be levied at about €100 per household would also broaden the tax base as some households argue they do not have a television while others do not buy a licence in the hope they will not be caught."

This would have been €60 lower than the current TV licence, I'm all for taxes / charges moving with the times. What I am against in one or two organisations hoovering up the revenue. Ideally any income from a broadcast charge will be spent on improving the communications infrastructure and not lining the pockets of a select few.

Just an aside, rather than attempt to implement a new (separate) charge why not levy it onto everyone's telephone / internet and TV bill? Therefore anyone who does not avail of these services does not get charged. Payment now becomes the obligation of the service provider and nobody need be prosecuted for non payment.

Surely there is a logic behind this charge. Given the broadening out of media access, the old TV licence is no longer bringing in the level of revenue required to cover the costs of RTE. Wheteher RTE provides value for money is a different debate. However it would not seem fair that those who are now accessing their TV through computer/other media device are not contributing towards the cost of RTE.

I can't see how the sums add up for what was being proposed and that makes me suspicious ...

The figures online suggest current compliance of 85% with TV licensing in Ireland.
Even with better compliance through the new charge, the best you might get is 95% (the UK figure).

I don't see how having an extra 10% or so or people paying, can support a reduction of €60 / 35% in the fee.

So would everyone have to pay the new charge, including those currently on waivers for TV licences?

As for levying it on service providers, I considered that also, but if someone is on Saorview, and doesnt have internet access or a mobile phone (yes, they exist) they would escape the levy.

let the people who want RTE pay for it, TV3 or UTV or SKY get no tax payer subvention and haveto operate in the same environment with much reduced STAR salaries.

Let the TDs and Senators contribute to it out of their incomes or party funds.

However it would not seem fair that those who are now accessing their TV through computer/other media device are not contributing towards the cost of RTE.

How do expats pay for this service?

If you don't want it, need it or use it, why should you pay......?

The notion of a poll tax on mobiles phones (which would presumably hit teenagers?) is bizarre, and if implemented would make Ireland a laughing stock.

Great to see the proposed TV tax being quietly dropped.
I can't see why RTE's core public service obligations are not funded centrally by the exchequer, and possibly some other fund be provided to which those making Irish/public interest programs could apply for a grant. When you look at the overheads for collecting the fee, the constant threatening ads, Garda and court time wasted chasing defaulters, etc, it makes me think that this idea to collect a yearly licence fee has long had its day.

In my view, RTE needs to be significantly overhauled as the first step towards reviewing the current licencing arrangements.

While I agree in principal with the comment above, challenging why we should have to pay for RTE if we don't watch or listen to their programmes, I do think it benificial to have a single state tv station & also, a single state radio station. That said, funding two tv channels and numerous radio stations makes no sense to me whatsoever.

Sure, some will argue that RTE has made profits and as such, we don't fund it but I think if you reflect on the last 10-15 years, RTE have often made losses. If costs were significantly less (dare I suggest we pay the likes of Ryan and Joe less each year ;)) and if we were funding less services, then this might not be such an issue for concern.

Given RTE currently have two TV channels and numerous Radio Stations, there is also notable potential for the sale of some of these assets - with funds perhaps used to help pay for future infrastructure at RTE, or perhaps to help offset the need for a TV licence fee for a few years etc.

Exactly. There is a need for a radical reshaping of RTE to meet modern day reality.

(1) Sell 2FM to the highest bidder.
(2) Close Longwave.
(3) Sell the RTE campus in Donnybrook.
(4) Sell RTE2.
(5) Give RTE1 a strict clear public service remit. News, current affairs, certain key sporting events etc
(6) Sell RTE's publishing arm.

Exactly. There is a need for a radical reshaping of RTE to meet modern day reality.

(1) Sell 2FM to the highest bidder.
(2) Close Longwave.
(3) Sell the RTE campus in Donnybrook.
(4) Sell RTE2.
(5) Give RTE1 a strict clear public service remit. News, current affairs, certain key sporting events etc
(6) Sell RTE's publishing arm.
(7) Sell TnG

Just listening to a radio in a shop and Marian Finnucane being paid a half million or so of our money, to read the newspapers to us. I suppose her producers will say it's called research. It's beyond a laugh at this stage

(7) Sell TnG

Funny, thats one channel I can see justification for keeping (assuming they continue to try and broadcast a decent level of programmes in Irish...).

Ultimately, while I don't see it as an attractive commercial venture, I do see value in having a broadcaster helping promote the Irish language and while it may cost us each year, I see a genuine public service here which I don't see in having multiple FM radio stations all broadcasting in English and trying to compete with other commercial stations for example.

Amazing how we've not gone and kicked some politicans a$$e$ over the entire issue of RTE for example and yet we all get caught up in knots about the water charges. There is far more than one battle to be fought and whether it's leaking water pipes need fixing before we get charged for the lost water, or a massively expensive and unnecessary RTE that needs dismantling, we seriously need to start standing up for ourselves more often.

Back on topic! Perhaps Rabbitte's broadcasting tax is not dropped after all. It appears to be just waiting in the wings to get the "water tax" out of the way and forgotten first.
Didn't Joan Burton hint at it last week or am I just a sceptic?

Alex White is quoted in today Indo about the broadcasting charge.

On one hand he says it "will go ahead". On another hand he says not till after the next election.

2017 at the earliest if it does happen.

Funny, thats one channel I can see justification for keeping (assuming they continue to try and broadcast a decent level of programmes in Irish...).

3% of children in the Gaeltachts speak Irish outside of school...........no justification for continuing spending public money on this.
Now more people speak Polish in Ireland that Gaelic so its a question of prioritising expenditures.

Now more people speak Polish in Ireland that Gaelic so its a question of prioritising expenditures.

On promoting the Polish language?

.... Tír gan teanga, tír gan anam.

Personally, I'd prefer we promote our own language .... Gaeilge.

On promoting the Polish language? .... Tír gan teanga, tír gan anam. Personally, I'd prefer we promote our own language .... Gaeilge.

Of course, and people who want to pursue it should be helped and encouraged but not compulsory. Public/Taxpayers money should should be spent where it does the most benefit, (i.e.) jobs for our young, so Spanish, German, etc., are actually more important.
The millions spent translating documents into Irish at national and european level could be spent of MRI machines and children's hospitals.

Back