"Best of Breed" performance based pay models

shipibo

A Chairde,

Was wondering if anybody has experience of a transparent, fair PBP Model..

Usual models are based on a managers opinion, this can be unreliable.

Is there a template that would allow employees to understand and accept the basis on which they are getting paid a specific sum ??

I worked in a large multinational which had a very structure annual review process, with defined objectives, targets ('what to do') and approaches ('how to do it', e.g. teamwork) agreed up front. The pay elements (salary increase, bonus, stock) was based on the performance review rating.

However, the rate was ultimately subjective, and was in the hands of the line manager. There was also the infamous 'curve' which said that in any team of 5+, there would have to be at least one underperformer and one outperformer.

My employer's appraisal model is even worse in my view* - various (often subjective) criteria measured on a 1-5 scale which is with reference to the expectations of the participants. So you have an individual and/or manager with low expectations who will score you 5 if you manage to drag yourself out of bed and into work while you could have another one with sky high expectations (e.g. mine and his boss :() who score you 3 if you manage to do all of your own work plus some extra curricular activities for the company. I've never participated in an appraisal process that was worth taking seriously to be honest. Usually they are yet more bureaucratic processes designed by somebody to tick some boxes and which then take on a life of their own and need feeding by people who preferably don't really think about or question the rationale or costs/benefits involved.

* And yes - I have voiced these views to them for what it was worth (i.e. nothing).

Maybe they know you are doing extra curricular activities on AAM, hence the score?;)

There was also the infamous 'curve' which said that in any team of 5+, there would have to be at least one underperformer and one outperformer.
I forgot to mention the logical collolory of the 'curve' system, which means that your performance was measured relative to your immediate peers, those who report to the same line manager. Therefore, to maximise your review score, you should try to get yourself into a team of low performers.

Or, stuck with the team you have, sabotage the performance of your colleagues, while hoping they aren't pursuing the same MAD strategy ;)

Back