How to locate and destroy a wasp nest

JP1234, this is a totally contrarian view but if you can section -off that area why not leave the nest alone?

I would leave it alone but for the fact the nest is somewhere between our bushes and the wall between us and our neighbour. My neighbour runs a creche from her home and has children out in her garden, that is my main concern, if the wasps end up in her garden ( very likely as she has a lot of flowers) and sting one of the children. I have warned her about the nest.

A few weeks back our dog was pottering round outside when she let out a loud yelp and ran in,then would not go out into the garden, even now she avoids that area, we think she was stung and now has the good sense to avoid it.

Generally I am not that bothered by wasps or bees, but I am starting to get a little paranoid now, I had the bedroom window open last night and was woken this morning by the buzzing of 2 wasps that had flown in..luckily they were trapped behind the curtain and I was able to shoo them out!

monagt said:
Capture a wasp and tie a thread to its tail and let it return to nest!

are you offering!:p

Its not the wasps you kill, its the hordes that come to the funeral. A few sips of wine and they attack every one.

And, they do return to the same place to nest so better to get rid of nest, also, some people can have an allergic reaction to wasp stings.............

Last edited:
you can smoke them out. I did this.

Burn a rag in diesel and blow it out. It causes alot of smoke. throw it in the direction of the nest and run. Honest, it worked a treat.

I gave the empty nest to the school next door. you should see the inside of one of these things! Amazing. An architect couldnt design it!

I heard about that alright, frightening! My husband still has 3 quite large red lumps on his belly, he was itching them all night even with Calamine lotion on. I just hope he doesn't have any meetings at work today or he might be getting some looks if he can't resist a scratch!

I just got quoted €200 minimum to have the nest removed by a local pest control company, does that sound excessive or is that about right?

Last edited:
Well I am hopeful we have managed to get rid of it. Husband and son went out late last night and cut back more of the hedges as far as they could. The nest appears to be on the ground against the wall so is partially covered and blends in with the wall. We bought 2 cans of the powder and one of the foam, he covered the ground with the powder last night and early this morning went out and sprayed the foam. I have only seen one or 2 of them in the general area this morning, whereas normally there would be dozens of them going in and out.

thanks for all the suggestions.

just a note to all would be wasp tacklers - do you know whether you're allergic to wasp stings or not ?

I found out last year the hard way - coming home on my motorbike about 2 miles from the house, felt an insect hit my visor, thought nothing of it, quick pain in my neck, scrambled at my neck with one hand doing about 90kph, must have killed the wasp.

By the time I got bike parked and my gear off (less than 5 minutes) my arms, tops of legs, groin area, around neck were all going really red and swelling and my heart started racing.
As I was taking off my gear a dead wasp fell out of my jacket - he must have hit my visor, fallen down at the base of my throat and then stung me a couple of times before I killed him.

We raced to the closest VHI clinic (luckily theres one 5 minutes away) and they gave me an adrenaline shot, anti-histamines and put me on a monitor for an hour. Scary as my heart rate had doubled from normal and blood pressure was through the roof.

I just got quoted €200 minimum to have the nest removed by a local pest control company, does that sound excessive or is that about right?

Seems expensive to me but it could be that it depends on the location and stage of the nest. We had someone around last summer to remove a nest which was in a fairly easy position to remove and which was relatively early in the summer so the nest was still not fully developed. We were charged €80 to have it removed.

That poor man wasn't the only one who died as a result of a wasp sting last summer. Business author and motivational speaker John Butler died after being stung in his garden last July.
http://www.independent.ie/national-news/noted-author-dies-after-wasp-sting-2273291.html

I had a wasps' nest removed a few years ago (in Dublin) for €100, but can't remember who did the job.

Back