Settling into new job

Newjob

Hi

I started a new job a month ago. Its a similar job to my previous one and in the same sector etc, I really was top of my game in my previous job and knew a lot and people would come to me with questions and how to solve things all the time.

Things have been going well in my new job, but I'm finding it hard to get to grips with some things. I know I'm qualified for the role and am capable of doing it, but I wish I was further along and knew what to do more than I do.

I work in reporting and the databases and sources are different. I feel like I've to be shown what to do with certain things and what programmes/ formulas etc to use, because they do things a different way and even though I have used these systems (SQL and Excel) for many years. I've got good feedback from my manager so far and in general I'm quite tough on myself, but I really feel my skills are not been shown and to be honest I'm worried.

What I'm wondering is is this normal? Am I panicking and do I need time to settle? What is the average time to settle into a new job?

Last edited:
I've got good feedback from my manager so far

Why not discuss it with your manager? A good manager would be alert to problems like this and should look at ways of dealing with them which might be additional training.

Why not discuss it with your manager? A good manager would be alert to problems like this and should look at ways of dealing with them which might be additional training.

I did and he said I'd done great work so far and not to be so hard on myself.

I'm just wondering if not being 100% at a new job even though you have the skills is normal?

I did and he said I'd done great work so far and not to be so hard on myself.

I'm just wondering if not being 100% at a new job even though you have the skills is normal?

I think it is normal to feel new job jitters. I bet in your old job people did not come to you day 1 to get help to solve their issues. You felt competent because you were comfortable with the system and the way of working etc.

As you say you have the skills for this job, you just need to start to feel comfortable with the systems and are probably irked with yourself for not being 100% sure of every question and query.

Just list what you feel on top of now and make a few goals for other areas to get on top of in the next month. It will probably help to build your confidence in your self belief, because your boss feels your capable.

Best of luck

As an employer I would never expect someone to be 100% up to speed until at least 3 months into a role. However it is great to see someone genuinely put hands up that they don't know everything. From an employer's perspective far better someone like that than a spoofer.

The reason you have got good feedback so far is that you have got up to speed far quicker than would be expected. Keep asking questions on the bits you don't know and you'll stop asking questions soon enough. I assume you're the type that doesn't ask the same question twice...

Thanks for the replies - I wash just worried that I wasn't coming across as the person they hired. But you've put my mind at ease.

They're processes and procedures are quite different from what I'm used to so its getting used to little things I suppose and to keep asking questions when I don't understand

Thanks again :)

In IT, especially for a permanent role, it takes 3-6 months to settle in.
experienced managers expect this.
unless you have been taken on to work with a specific system where you have some very relevant experience,,the 3-6 months is a good guideline.

i have been there myself on both ends, as the employee and employer.

Stop judging yourself so harshly. As others said it takes time to get to grips with a change like this even if in the same area. Would recommend a book called change your questions change your life by marilee adams. Really good book and the story used in it sounds like where you are.

They're processes and procedures are quite different from what I'm used to...

You mentioned earlier that you used to be the go-to person in your last job. Find out who that person is in the current place and look to spend some time with them going through the processes and procedures. This could be of benefit to both parties as you may bring some new ideas from your past experience that might be of use to your new employers.

Back