Advice needed as I drove into the back of another car this morning

rustbucket

Unfortunately, I drove into the back of another car this morning. Spoke to owner of other car, exchanged insurance details etc. Very little damage done, and none to my car. She mentioned that she would prefer to not go through insurance.

I imagine she will come back with a quote and I know from experience it will probably involve a total bumper fix and respray.

Question is should i ring my own insurance now and let them know about it or wait until quote comes in?

Reason I ask is if quote is really expensive I will not be able to afford to pay it so may have to go through insurance

You will more than likely find that most Insurance companies require that you report an accident to them. So I would report it. You can always let them know if an when it is sorted. There are still decent people out there so hopefully you will be lucky

Just got contacted by owner of other car and they are happy that no damage done and have asked for a donation to a charity instead. It really only was a tap so am delighted. Good to know there are some decent people out there. Similar happened to my other half a few years back and she got taken to the cleaners.

Delighted that it has worked out for you. As I said before there are still decent people out there. Do not forget to contact your Ins. Co and tell them the story and keep record of when you done it and name of whom you spoke to.

Unfortunately, I drove into the back of another car this morning. Spoke to owner of other car, exchanged insurance details etc. Very little damage done, and none to my car. She mentioned that she would prefer to not go through insurance.

I imagine she will come back with a quote and I know from experience it will probably involve a total bumper fix and respray.

Question is should i ring my own insurance now and let them know about it or wait until quote comes in?

Reason I ask is if quote is really expensive I will not be able to afford to pay it so may have to go through insurance

Was/is her insurance legit?

Reason I ask is that I had the misfortune in the past of a lady bumping off me in slow moving traffic and cracking/damaging the back bumper of my car.She was in a rather distressed state with me and was pleading with me not to call the gardai and just to sort it out with her the next day with cash and not involve the insurance companies.I thought something was very odd and something was up with the way she was acting.I thought there might be drink or drugs involved or maybe no insurance,so I decided to call the gardai because of the accident.

Turns out even though she had an insurance disc in her car windscreen,she had actually cancelled the insurance policy and was driving around uninsured.
She eventually confessed to the gardai that she canceled the insurance to try and save money,but she thought she would be ok just driving around on the local roads to do the school run.
She also had the tax disc of another car in her car to try and fool people and the gardai.

Was/is her insurance legit?

Reason I ask is that I had the misfortune in the past of a lady bumping off me in slow moving traffic and cracking/damaging the back bumper of my car.She was in a rather distressed state with me and was pleading with me not to call the gardai and just to sort it out with her the next day with cash and not involve the insurance companies.I thought something was very odd and something was up with the way she was acting.I thought there might be drink or drugs involved or maybe no insurance,so I decided to call the gardai because of the accident.

Turns out even though she had an insurance disc in her car windscreen,she had actually cancelled the insurance policy and was driving around uninsured.
She eventually confessed to the gardai that she canceled the insurance to try and save money,but she thought she would be ok just driving around on the local roads to do the school run.
She also had the tax disc of another car in her car to try and fool people and the gardai.

I dont know if it was legit or not to be honest. I took photos of the cert and gave details to my own insurance company on the off chance I might have to go through Insurance.

Anyway, not really an issue now as thankfully it wont be taken any further

Back