just found out pregnant and redundant in coming days.

GoldWings

Dear all,
I’d appreciate some advice please. I’ve found out that I am just pregnant – not too far gone. I’m being made redundant this week (statutory redundancy so a meagre payout).
I interviewed for a temporary position last week and I got on well. This was before I found that I was pregnant. If I get that job, I don’t think that I can take it as it involves working chemicals and solvents.
Anyhow I am going to see my GP tomorrow and will ask her if there are risks working with these particular chemicals. If the GP says that it’s a risk, then I am contemplating calling their HR to tell them and apologise in the hope that if a position arose again in the future – they might consider me again. If the GP says that it is ok to work in this environment, the successful candidate will have to undergo a medical and in that case I am wondering if they will test for pregnancy. Can they?? It’s a pharma company.
I haven’t been on the dole ever before and I don’t know what to do regarding my entitlements. I’ve read about jobseeker benefit – should I apply for that? I am actively looking for positions and have been since Feb this year. But a lot of the work I am qualified for is laboratory based, so I don’t think that I will be taken on!
I am married, husband has a good job and we have a 18 month old baby. We have a hefty mortgage too. Any advice welcome.

I would accept the job if you get it. I also work with chemicals in a lab and you will find that most you can use when you are pregnant, i.e methanol and acetonitrile are fine its just chloroform and a few others you can't work with. i have had 2 pregnancies while working here and had risk assessments done both times, both found the risk negligible. They won't test for pregnancy in a medical all they do is basic blood screens and maybe a drug screen. you can tell them after you take the job that you are pregnant and let them do the worrying

that's pretty sound advice Maxie, thanks. I've been worrying alot about it. The position is working with Active Pharmaceutical Ingredients. Thanks again.

Even with APIs once you wear your protective equipment you'll be fine, unless its something that you definitely can't work with when pregnant, google the API and see what it says on the MSDS. Again though I would take the job if offered. I have worked in a few places where someone started and was pregnant a short time after, nothing was said about the person, don't be worring about it, you are entitiled to the job if you get it and being pregnant shouldn't mean that you are less likely to get it, just play dumb until you do and announce it when you get there. Best of luck!

Hi, I have a question also on redundancy/maternity... I'm currently on Maternity leave. I'm also pregnant (don't ask...!). I will be 24 weeks pregnant going back to work, however I think I will be made redundant when I go back (have applied for voluntary). Should I go straight on maternity leave before they get the chance to make me redundant? So that I get the social welfare maternity leave pay? Also my company pays maternity pay for 18 weeks, would they be obliged to pay that before my redundacy kicks in (yes I know that this is probably immoral, however I've always worked 30-60 hours unpaid overtime per month so I don't mind taking something back!). They have to give me 4 weeks notice of redundancy, I have to give 4 weeks notice of maternity leave, so will I lose out? Any advice on what to do would be appreciated

Back