BTEA repeat claim being reassessed

Wonderwoman

Hi, I am finding it impossible to get an answer from my local social welfare office on this....
A run down of my situation:
I qualified for BTEA for my first year of a level 8 degree starting Sept 2013. I had been on a JB/JA payment for preceding year and also had received a statutory redundancy payment in 2012, which validated my application. I was awarded a BTEA payment for me, a qualified dependent and 3 children.
I finished my first year & passed my exams(June 2014). I went to sign for JA when college finished for summer and spoke to the SW staff member dealing with my JA claim about a job I had recently interviewed for. I was told I would just have to sign off for the summer and for my second year of my degree, my BTEA payment would be reinstated upon submitting a letter from my college with required info. I asked again to be sure that this was all I needed to do. I had explained that it was full time for the summer and that I would be working for part time during college time. I specifically asked about my rate for September and was assured that they did not need to know nor cared what I was doing work wise as long as it was part time and my rate was guaranteed to be the same. I also explained that I would be working for 39 hours a week for the summer holidays earning the same as my JA payment so was weighing up what was best based on what my rate would be in Sept. I am on college placement in September for 30 hours a week plus working 20 hours part time...so a 50 hour week plus 3 children is a big commitment and one I was giving full consideration to. With a second set of reassurances from the staff member that took my details when I had a job offer and a 3rd when I spoke to a BTEA person... I was happy to take the job and work for the summer. I am currently working a month in hand so it has all been very stressful financially....
FF to a phone call last week from SW to inform me that they were closing my claim (ok I thought it was closed because I signed off) as I would be working for more than 8 weeks, and that I would have to reapply for BTEA from scratch in September and have my income from my summer work assessed and my part time work for the coming year. Despite my questions regarding all previous info I was given, I was not given any answers, just told that it is new directives applicable to everyone (all I can find is Budget 2013 changes) and wasn't willing to give me any guidance for budgeting purposes, I was just told to refer to welfare.ie.
I am now at the point where I am attempting to calculate what JA payment I would qualify for as this seems to be what I am going to be on come September, but really am utterly miffed at the total lack of guidance from my local office. I seem to fall between 2 stools, I am not protected by the 'pre Jan 2013 entrant' not affected but yet I don't see how I am a new applicant operating under new guidelines. If I hadn't asked all the questions I did I guess I wouldn't feel so aggrieved.

I should have just stayed on JA for the summer and protected my rate and sod the system. There are many points in the operational guideline for BTEA that say you can work part time without affecting your payment.... But they have changed how the rate is calculated. It doesn't help that it is a totally local decision so I am at the mercy of the people that made the point of ringing me to say that my claim was being closed and still managed to send me a letter to inform me of my next signing day.... **sigh**

Apologies for long post, but if anyone can help me out with any guidance it would be much appreciated, I am working in my new job with other people on BTEA awarded from other districts and they have not had the same communication on the matter as I have had. Which only adds to my confusion.

Thanks gipimann, apologies for delay in thanking you.

I have reread the guidelines and really cannot see anywhere in there that supports what I have been told. I have drafted a letter with the relevant points and see how I get on.
But basically I am allowed to work for the summer, I have already qualified for my rate according to these and also it states that only a change in mean circumstances during academic year apart from part time may result in a revised decision.

Back