Neighbours Cigarette Smoke

J

JAW

Hi There,

I am hoping for some useful suggestions. We live in a circa 1980 3 bedroom mid terrace house. My 2 1/2 son has the front bedroom and there is occasionally a strong smell of cigarette smoke in the room. We believe that this is coming from the corresponding bedroom next door. (It is unlikely that our 2 year old has a secret smoking habit!). The houses are block built with no obvious defects in the wall.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to stop this?? No one in our house smokes so this is kind of upsetting.

Could it be coming in his open window? You can test the walls for air tightness, and I think what you use is a called a smoke pen.

we have same probelm but with awful stale food smells from box bedroom next door (son in mid 20's seem to eat & live in the room & keep local takeaways in business)

....i think it comes through the vent in the wall with the smells travelling through the cavities...our house is 1970s....would also welcome suggestions.

His window is not open, he does have a vent in the room above his bed but we have tried closing this and the problem still occurs. Do you have any more information about the smoke pen?

Many thanks!

Have you checked the attic to see if the joint wall goes to the rafters. I found in my house that the bricks went up to a certain height and there was then a gap at the top and at the very corners. For insulation and noise purposes i actually filled these in.

ha, i remeber my cousin gettin into awfull trouble years ago for aparently smokin in her room. Turned out the guy in the house next door was the culprit and the smoke was leaking into my cousins room and not just tobaco smoke at that. I'll check it out and see how they solved the issue.

Have you checked the attic to see if the joint wall goes to the rafters. I found in my house that the bricks went up to a certain height and there was then a gap at the top and at the very corners. For insulation and noise purposes i actually filled these in.

Agree - worth checking. We had a house like this before too.

Back