Need to transfer a large sum of money out of Ireland

Time

I was recently awarded a settlement in a court case I was involved in. I have left Ireland and now live in Bulgaria. The problem is I cannot transfer the money from Ireland to BG without going back to Ireland. The money is sitting in UB.

Is there anyway around this?

Why not come back to Ireland for a holiday, around the budget like, and skip off again after hearing all our bad news?

Have you a problem with coming back to Ireland for a day or two? Surely that is the best way to follow your own money. It's what I would do. Bulgaria is not New Zealand or the Atacama Desert.

But obviously if you are not able physically, or for some other reason, you could appoint someone power of attorney here to to it for you I'd say.

You are still talking staying at least 3 days and a cost of circa €600 all in.

It costs around €7 per €200 to take it out of the hole in the wall.

Why can't your solicitor forward the money to you by bank transfer?

If you want to transfer your money to Bulgaria into a LEV account why are you not using transfermate or similar.

I think you say you can't transfer it out because Ulster does not allow you to do IBAN transactions online (you must go into the branch) but transfermate has an irish account you can enter via ulster bank online.

Also if you ask your branch they will forward you a SWIFT transfer from in paper format which you can send back and they will do it for you one they verify your signature.

Now as you seams to talk about an amount in excess of 10000€ you will have to fill out some additonal paperwork when getting the money but as you have a valid source of the income you should be fine.

Why can't your solicitor forward the money to you by bank transfer?
I don't know if he would be willing to do that. I can always ask. He is willing to stick in any Irish account but a foreign account might be pushing it.

If you want to transfer your money to Bulgaria into a LEV account why are you not using transfermate or similar.

I think you say you can't transfer it out because Ulster does not allow you to do IBAN transactions online (you must go into the branch) but transfermate has an irish account you can enter via ulster bank online.

Also if you ask your branch they will forward you a SWIFT transfer from in paper format which you can send back and they will do it for you one they verify your signature.

Now as you seams to talk about an amount in excess of 10000€ you will have to fill out some additonal paperwork when getting the money but as you have a valid source of the income you should be fine.

I will have a look at transfermate but from my reading they assume you are resident in Ireland, which I am clearly not. I can see problems as I would not have bills from Ireland anymore.

I don't know if he would be willing to do that. I can always ask. He is willing to stick in any Irish account but a foreign account might be pushing it.

I fail to see why that might be so.

As long as he is paid his fees, and your instruction is a "legal" one and not designed to evade tax (I don't know how this relates to your tax affairs - I'm offering an example) your solicitor should be in a position to assist.
Of course, given the well-publicized instances of misappropriations by solicitors over the past three years, you may not trust him to do so.

In that case, unless you have someone here you trust implicitly and to whom you have given power to move money through your accounts, it looks like you will have to attend here in person.
Its a relatively short trip - what's the problem?

Its a relatively short trip - what's the problem?
No direct flights, cost of getting to airport here. Cost of hotels in Ireland. Having to get someone in here to mind my house etc.

So could easily be down a grand.

Back to asking/trusting your solicitor so. :)

I can't see why he/she would refuse.

Back