irish water

but the free water allowance is hardly relevant anymore given the amount of properties that wont have water meters and therefore wont have to conserve water!

The free allowances weren't dependent on the installation of meters.

I really can't fathom people's difficulty with providing a Pps number.

I collect these from every one of my students - approx 180 of them every single year. In total my colleagues and I will collect close to 400 PPS numbers each year.......

Marion

Hi Marion,

One good reason not to hand in a PPS number is if the organisation is incompetent. In the last couple of years a number of organisations contacted me to say that my personal data had been compromised. I was one of the Bord Gais customers who received a letter stating that my data was on a laptop that had been stolen. I seem to recall getting a similar letter from the IBTS. If there is no solid argument to hand over private data then why do so?

The free household allowance has been removed - that's why PPS numbers no longer needed. All along they said the PPS was needed to apply for the free allowance.
The removal of the free allowance was hardly mentioned by anyone as far as I can see. The Govt say they have cut the unit rate - but didn't mention that the first 30k litres is no longer free.
Before these changes it would have been possible to get no bill for water if you used less than 30k ... now that isn't possible.
I hadn't realised that they dropped the 30k household allowance. It would have been unlikely that many would have used less than the 30k (82 litres/day) allowance, therefore avoiding a bill, given that the average usage in Germany is 122 litres/day and in the UK it's 150 litres/day.

Anyone remember all the personal medical records that were found in the landfill site in Wicklow some years ago.

Things like that dont sit well with people when it comes to personal information and people will allways remember screw ups like that.

I think IW are allready sunk,excuse the pun there.

Any meter being installed will be used immediately. I wish I had one as I think I'd come in under the cap, and so pay less.

They've also helped a lot of people, including users on here identify massive leaks within their properties. Left unchecked, those could result in very significant structural issues.

Any meter being installed will be used immediately.

My meter was installed last October but my bills have been at the flat rate. I also registered last January which was acknowledged. On the first bill they thanked me for registering and billed me at the flat rate. No "thank you for registering" on the second bill and I was billed at the flat rate. Irish Water surpasses Eircom and Vodafone for incompetence, and that's saying something.

Personally can't see that happening.
you may be right....but the only way now irish water can stay afloat, excuse the pun, is for it to receive huge subsities from the government every year so just like throwing good money after bad really. They are massively overstaffed and less than 50% of people are paying the charge, even in the unlikely event of that reaching 60 or even 70% it will still be a operating at a very substantial loss year on year. how long more can they keep it on life support?

I was amused at the level of public outcry regarding water charges. Surely, I thought, property tax, the USC and bin charges (which are all higher) would have been resisted to a greater degree. We recently had our IW meter installed. I was chatting to the installer who said that the areas where they were encountering the greatest resistence where those areas in which a lot of people were used to getting everything for nothing....no bin charges, no property taxes, no USC, welfare and medical cards.

For what it's worth, I think IW is here to stay whether, fully funded by those paying the charges or by state subsidy. I also believe that over time, more & more people will start paying, especially when the bills start including ever-growing arrears.

I was chatting to the installer who said that the areas where they were encountering the greatest resistence where those areas in which a lot of people were used to getting everything for nothing....no bin charges, no property taxes, no USC, welfare and medical cards.

The 'I already pay my taxes' brigade!

I was amused at the level of public outcry regarding water charges. Surely, I thought, property tax, the USC and bin charges (which are all higher) would have been resisted to a greater degree. We recently had our IW meter installed. I was chatting to the installer who said that the areas where they were encountering the greatest resistence where those areas in which a lot of people were used to getting everything for nothing....no bin charges, no property taxes, no USC, welfare and medical cards.

For what it's worth, I think IW is here to stay whether, fully funded by those paying the charges or by state subsidy. I also believe that over time, more & more people will start paying, especially when the bills start including ever-growing arrears.
Well you can be almost be sure it will be mainly by state subsidy, whether its here to stay or not only time will tell. we do have an election coming up!.. interesting time ahead for sure.

Ah yes, we have an election due before May next year and plenty of people who think that their chosen political representatives will give them what they want. Won't happen.

The people who want to pay for nothing will continue to pay for nothing. That's what they want and that's what they will get.

Great Stuff! That's always the way it has been; ask anybody working in the Dept of Social Protection or any other government Department.

The people who want to pay for nothing will continue to pay for nothing. That's what they want and that's what they will get.

:) Unfortunately true. Though the problem with expensive promises is that they don't get any cheaper with time. As amply demonstrated by Syriza, they might start out shelling out the goodies to the <ahem> deserving voters that voted them in on a platform of "everyone pays except us" but when push comes to shove they'll have to face facts ...

Back