25% bonus this Xmas to social welfare recipients

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brendan Burgess

Founder
http://budget.gov.ie/Budgets/2015/EstimateStatement.aspx

The outturn figures for unemployment for this year 2014 are much better than forecast. The Government has decided to allocate a portion of these savings to pay a 25% bonus to social welfare recipients this coming Christmas.

This is a current year payment from 2014 figures. Whether a similar bonus will be paid at Christmas 2015 will again depend on the availability of sufficient savings in next year’s Social Protection vote.

I presume from the speech, now quoted in the first post, all social welfare recipients.

Brendan

I think it would be a nice gesture to anyone on SW who is in severe hardship at the moment,so heres hoping its all SW payments.

According to RTE 6.1 News there just now,it applies to pensioners and long term unemployed.

Looks like it's most of them - there's a list here .
http://www.*****************.com/social-welfare-25-christmas-bonus-budget-2015.html

It's costing 63 million!

Thanks for the link.

I love the last paragraph.......

"It is not means tested – so a millionaire on a state pension will get the same bonus as every other person on a state pension".

Thanks for the link.

I love the last paragraph.......

"It is not means tested – so a millionaire on a state pension will get the same bonus as every other person on a state pension".

There'll likely be people complaining about this, not realizing that the administration of the means testing would cost well in excess of the money saved by doing so.

considering this was a budget for the wealthy, I think this was a very measly gesture towards the least well off in our society, an extra 40 or €50 euro at Christmas to the struggling family relaying on social welfare payments. Very little was offered in yesterday's budget to ease the burden of the 400,000 + unemployed people who are left languishing on the dole.

I finished on a ce scheme in January and have been on jsa since, and I got no christmas bonus, but if I was still on ce I would get it.

I cant see any sense or logic in that!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back