moving to killarney, 2008 - wise move?

carefree

building a house in Muckross, Killarney next year and moving the whole family across. I am a plastic paddy born in England and wife is from Muckross although been away for 12 years. We hope it will be a great move, schools, countryside, space etc or are we mad?

Kerry is without doubt one of the most beautiful places that anyone could choose to live. However the Ireland that your wife left 12 years ago is much changed. My wife and I spent ten years overseas and returned with 3 kids in 2004. It has taken us two years to settle back in and there is much here that can do your head in. Life is what you make of it and in Kerry you can have a beautiful life. Go for it and enjoy what the new road may bring.

building a house in Muckross, Killarney next year and moving the whole family across. I am a plastic paddy born in England and wife is from Muckross although been away for 12 years. We hope it will be a great move, schools, countryside, space etc or are we mad?

and most importantly for Kerry folk, the local GAA club Dr. Crokes aren't bad either!

Main benefits of Killarney for a family that I would see:
- If the kids are into sport there's something for everyone - soccer, GAA, rugby, basketball, swimming, athletics, golf/pitch and putt, tennis; all less than 5 minutes drive away.
- Great for lots of other outdoor pursuits e.g. Orienteering, Hill walking, mountain climbing, cycling, rowing, horse riding.
- Lots of great pubs and restaurants.
- Generally regarded as a safe town.
Cons:
- Can get a bit overcrowded with tourists during the Summer.
- Gets twice as much rainfall as Dublin.

Thanks for the help Joe and kBull!
We are going ahead even though we know we'll take a while to settle in but we'll have a fine house, space, countryside and feel safe in ALL the pubs - over here our locals are all unsafe and unfriendly.
Jobs will probably be hard to get but i'll have a go at anything I just hope I can talk about football and Chelsea with the lads or i'll have to become a gaa man!

Hi Carefree,
My mum is from Kerry, you'd be surprised at the amoutn of english that do live in Kerry and happliy at that:)

cheers pinky. haven't heard anything too bad yet to put us off and we know what the weather's like - but then you can't have it all!

92 cent for petrol today it cost me 1.11 in omeath co louth

Back