Returning home from Japan with automatic car: bad idea?

marylou

Hi Everyone
Will be returning from the land of the car giants - Japan!- in the next few months. Have to decide about bringing my new car home with me. Even with the shipping , its WAY cheaper than buying at home. But it's an Automatic. Is this going to be a pain with regards to repairs etc in the future? Not too worried about selling it on later, as I intend to drive it till I'm pensioned off!!!
Many thanks
Marylou

Re: Returning home with automatic car: bad idea?

if its Japanese, the chances are it'll last longer than you so you could be ok on the repairs...what is it?

that depends what made and model the car is...

the only problem if u can get the parts here or not, most import cars u can get parts here or in UK, worst case is u have to order the parts from Japan. well get hold of any contacts u can get parts directly while in Japan and maybe they can ship it for you in future just in case!

sayounara!

I would bring it. Auto is getting much more popular here.

Would not worry too much about findinf mechanics.

What kind of car is it?

If the make and model have been on sale here in Ireland you should be OK.
Check to see if you will be liable for VRT etc, this may be 30 % of teh OMSP and make the transaction less favourable.
Best of luck.

The country is awash with Jap imports. You should not have a problem with parts at this stage if it is mainstream like a honda or nissan. My friend gets parts for his honda prelude automatic in the local honda dealers. I was looking at buying a car from an auction in Japan and importing it and clearing it straight away and it was working out a lot cheaper but I was worried though whether as a one off I would get a good car. So I think you'd be mad not to bring it home.

To all replies:
Many thanks. It's a Toyota, but the name isn't in Ireland , but is similar to others there. Would like to impress you all with a fancy schmancy sports deal, but it's a family/town thing, as I'm a new driver. I've checked about taxes, but there's none if you've owned the car for 6 months or longer.
You've given me good food for thought. Thanks.
Marylou

is the car left hand drive? if it is will make driving difficult here ie the overtaking etc

Back