Home Rental contents cover for burst pipes

janedoe06

Hi all

I have a long term lease from the County Council for a ground floor apartment .5 yrs
i am required to have Contents Insurance.
I notice that it is difficult judging by the preliminary quotes to get cover for floors when say there is a leak from a pipe for example .

When i moved in the place was a shell apart from the fitted kitchen and bath and toilet that was in .

My rental lease from the council does not mention anything about the floors in it . Yet god forbid the worse happening it looks like i would be forking out for any replacement or damage to the floor .

Has any one got Contents insurance where the floor was included (as the tenant put this in )

Most contents insurance will cover what would normally be classed as "buildings" if the policy holder is renting and not required to insure the buildings.

This is very tricky,I had solid wooden floors in an apt in Dublin,a leak caused considerable damage to the floor (tenting),I knew that the lease I have forbids wooden floors so was on a hiding to no where attempting to claim off the Block insurance despite it being damage to a fixture,rang the insurer who did not want to know,they told me they it was a matter for me to claim off my block insurance as they did not cover damage to fixtures and fittings..

Management agents said had it been a carpet it would not have made much of a difference as the excess had been raised to a ludicrous level to stop people claiming off it???Pointless having it then??

Long story short I had to get it repaired asap as tenants were living in the property and you cannot expect people to live with damaged flooring so had to pay for it myself.

Very frustrating.

if you do get an insurer to cover flooring get it in writing.

Thanks all .

Thing is as usual all we were advised about is get Contents insurance from the council. Its only when I look up now to organise Quotes I see that floors e.t.c that i have put in myself fall under buildings insurance which i don't need. It sounds like u can't win with insurance really . Thanks all for we're helpful replies .
My lease does not stipulate anything about no wooden floors ...? at least i didn't see anything on it . Normally u just get insurance out and forget about it . i never put so much thought into this before , i must be getting old !!

Thanks all .

My lease does not stipulate anything about no wooden floors ...? at least i didn't see anything on it . Normally u just get insurance out and forget about it . i never put so much thought into this before , i must be getting old !!

It depends on your lease,the idea behind it was to cut down on noise travelling between neighbours,both side by side and up and down.Wooden floors do nothing to dampen these sounds.

Yes I agree totally about it being a no win situation.if its not in your lease ring up the management agents and ask does the block insurance cover you in the event the floors are written off and indeed what the excess is...

It goes with out saying that you get it in writing from them....without it you havent a leg or indeed a floor to stand on....

you will have to delve deeper into the policy wording. The quotes will advise that floors should be under your buildings. But the policy wording will probably say otherwise.

Back