Home Home Insurance claim - Help

oakrise

Our TV was damaged accidentally over the summer with wii remote hiting it. Getcover.com was informed and they sent the file to OSG, a company appointed to handle their claims, the TV was collected 2weeks ago for assessment. I called them this morning to find out the outcome and the report says the tv is damaged beyond repair and it will be replaced but I have to pay €250 to the Engineers before they can replace it with brand now one. I ve never heard of this before could anyone please explain it to me. The policy was in excess of €250 and what I ve ever known is that the insurance will pay you the value less the policy excess. Please help, there is no TV in the house since July.

There is an excess of €250 on your policy by the sound of things. This means that you are liable for the first €250 of any claim. The company are offering to provide you with a new TV upon payment of €250. This is somewhat unusual in that normally the company will pay out on the net replacement value of the item damaged rather than provide you with a replacement. Either way you will have to meet the first €250 of the claim. I.e. If the TV cost is only marginally over that value your claim will be low and probably not worth progressing as you will lose out on your no claims bonus.

Thanks for your reply, the Tv was bought in Nov 2008 for €1140 and I ve supplied the receipt to them for proof. What I m i suppose to do in this case.

Best to call them up and ask what your options are. I still find it unusual that they are supplying you with a replacement TV. Are you sure this is what they intend doing?

Well that was what I was told this morning. I ve asked them to put it in writting to me. Thanks

They have their own crowd who view electronics to decide whether to repair or replace. They would then offer you like for like once they received the excess from you. You are however not under any obligation to do this. Tell them that you have purchased another TV and to sent you a chq for the replacement less the excess asap.

Back