Malahide Co. Dublin

W

willby2

My wife and I are contemplating moving to live in Malahide. We are 60 years of age and both active. We would very much welcome suggestions re desirable locations to purchase a house. We would like to be able to walk to the village train etc. Our max. budget would be in the region of €700,000.

Have you looked at www.myhome.ie - it would give you an idea of what you'll get for your budget. and the locations that suit you.
Not sure whether you'd consider an apartment as most houses within reasonable distance of the station would in my view be over the €700k mark.
Seabury is about 20 mins walk from the village itself and would be within budget as well as being a nice area.

Thanks Upstihaggity. I drove by Seabury recently and agree it seemed a nice area. Will check Myhome also.

Thanks Upstihaggity. I drove by Seabury recently and agree it seemed a nice area. Will check Myhome also.
In the context of Dublin, Seabury is a nice enough area. In the context of Malahide, it wouldn't seem to be as nice. A lot of boy racers around the area that zip around the estates.

I agree with you on that point alright- but given the budget of €700k it seemed like the more viable option.

Besides, I live there myself and haven't been too bothered by boy racers...could be that I'm girl-racing too fast to spot them!

Houses within walking distance of Malahide are very expensive so you may do better with an apartment if proximity is priority.

There are new apartments on show just opposite the park and beside the railway station but I am unsure of their price. Some further away at the Marina might suit although be careful as some friends renting one at some stage and found the insulation (noise) was very poor. You may do better too if you look at houses in Seapark (not to be confused with Seabury) as these are only about 15 mins walk from the village.
Alternatively look at 3beds in Portmarnock - may be more affordable. Many within a few minutes walk of the beach and you have a great bus service to Malahide - lovely walk too but for pleasure.
Hope this helps.

Thanks Paddylast. I walked from Malahide to the beach in Portmarnock on a recent visit. The sun was shining and it could have been a beach somewhere in Spain. Thanks for the reminder that I should also consider Portmarnock.

Seabury is fine, Gainsborough is within your budget so I would check that out aswell, Prices are dropping in both estates and there is plenty of houses for sales so you should get good value. GB is 20-25 mins from the station and SB is 15-20 depending on what side of it you live in

Hi,
I am also hoping to move to Malahide in the next few months. Seabury is really, mostly available within our budget (which is tight enough ).
I have had some feedback from people who are originally from the area, 1 said that seabury is the Blanchardstown of the area, another told me that their is a good side and not so good side, and they reckoned the town side of the church was the better side. (I assume she was referring to malahide as the town, as opposed to the city).
Has anyone got any thoughts on this.
Gainsborough looks lovely, but is further out, and seems to be all 4-Bed semi. Is this the case ?
We plan to rent first while we sell our own, and then get a good feel for the area too.

We plan to rent first while we sell our own, and then get a good feel for the area too.

Good idea SArah.

Also, if you give a quick look down through the previous threads on Location Location location you will see a Gainsborough one from Jul 1st, and a Malahide one from a few weeks ago. When in LLL, use the search box for Gainsborough, Seabury etc, they all been discussed before with some good insights from previous/current owners and locals.

Calling somewhere the Blanchardstown of Malahide is kinda like being the poorest Suadi Arabian prince :)
Do what we did recently, take an hour to drive those places, get a feel for it. We found Seabury for example, very hard to negotiate because of the constant traffic coupled with a huge volume of parked cars on the narrow streets

Why not buy yourself a really nice yacht and a space in the marina .You could do really well for half the money and keep the rest for enjoying yourself.

Seabury does have a lot of cars parked on the roads but most families there have at least 2 if not 3 cars. Might make sense to look in other areas that don't have this level of car ownership i.e. some of the 'upcoming' areas, not necessarily in Malahide?

I think its more to do with narrow streets though, as opposed to the area. I wouldn't count out Malahide solely because of traffic. Everywhere has traffic.
From what I can remember, there were plenty of Seabury streets that don't have the same volume of traffic as the parts of seabury close by the Church.

Back