Motor Hospital demanding proof of no insurance claim....(Help)

familyguy

This might sound a bit complex so bear with me....

My girlfriend was involved in a minor RTA last year which involved a bus.
A garda was at the scene and it was determined no one was to blame.
As a result no insurance claims were made.

The Garda took both sides details.

My girlfriend was taken to the hospital and despite a few cuts and bruises she was fine thankfully, they did a few x-rays and the normal procedures.

A few months later she was issued a bill from the hospital which they said was a "Standard RTA fee".
BUT this fee is apparently only issued when the patient is making a claim against the other party's insurance.
(Note: she has to pay the hospital for x-ray fees etc which is fine, that she accepts and will sort out).

The hospital told her over the phone that IF she can get the bus companys insurer to send them a letter confirming that she is not making a claim against them, then the "standard RTA fee" they are looking for payment of, will then be waived.

So we have the bus companys name, the drivers name, the vehicle reg number and the insurance policy number, we ascertained which company they were insured with and we proceeded to call the company to ask for this letter.

The supervisor we spoke to said she had never heard of this type of thing (letter required by the hospital) but that they would look into it for us, they said they would have to get the bus company to fill out an 'accident report form' and that my girlfriend would need to get it in writing from the hospital that they require this letter and get it onto them (the insurance co.) to proceed further.

Does anyone know if this is a legitimate request from the hospital? (standard rta fee, etc)
Or might there be a possibility that she is being taken advantage of?

Am hoping someone out there might be well up on such circumstances and
if any advice can be offered that would be great.

Thanks

...My girlfriend was involved in a minor RTA last year which involved a bus.
A garda was at the scene and it was determined no one was to blame.
As a result no insurance claims were made.....

Does anyone know if this is a legitimate request from the hospital? (standard rta fee, etc)
Or might there be a possibility that she is being taken advantage of?

Am hoping someone out there might be well up on such circumstances and
if any advice can be offered that would be great.

Thanks

I can't claim to be an expert but I have worked in this area previously. If you are admitted to hospital via ambulance/A&E then you are liable for a max charge of €100 per visit, but not for repeat visits in relation to the same injury. See here [broken link removed]

In this case, the hospital can really only legitimately claim the €100 per day unless they become aware of a case. How can your GF state that there will be no claim as she may develop, God forbid, pain or injury(whiplash type stuff) some time after the accident? Therefore, it might be unwise to state in writing that there will be no claim, although if she was the party in the wrong, that assertion could only come from the other party. If she makes a statement that she has not and will not make a claim, the bus company could possibly lodge a claim.

I think she should write to the hospital, who are really only chancing their arm, and state that there is no case pending and if she makes a claim she will let them know. Limit payment to €100 per day.
Slim

I can't claim to be an expert but I have worked in this area previously. If you are admitted to hospital via ambulance/A&E then you are liable for a max charge of €100 per visit, but not for repeat visits in relation to the same injury. See here

In this case, the hospital can really only legitimately claim the €100 per day unless they become aware of a case. How can your GF state that there will be no claim as she may develop, God forbid, pain or injury(whiplash type stuff) some time after the accident? Therefore, it might be unwise to state in writing that there will be no claim, although if she was the party in the wrong, that assertion could only come from the other party. If she makes a statement that she has not and will not make a claim, the bus company could possibly lodge a claim.

I think she should write to the hospital, who are really only chancing their arm, and state that there is no case pending and if she makes a claim she will let them know. Limit payment to €100 per day.
Slim

Thanks for the reply. The accident was last year and she is perfectly well now so there is no chance she'll be making a claim now.

What I am asking is if this ''standard rta fee'' they're claiming is a genuine and routine bill in this situation?

I dont understand why they wont just take her word for it that shes not claiming, all they have to do is contact the insurer themselves to verify it but it seems they aren't willing to carry out such a task and instead are insisting on her getting all the documentation for them. It just seems a bit ridiculous that they can't waive this fee until the insurer sends them a letter stating that she is not making a claim from the accident which happened in November 2010.

What I am asking is if this ''standard rta fee'' they're claiming is a genuine and routine bill in this situation?

Sorry I didn't make myself clear. The hospital will try to recover the economic cost of treating your girlfriend if they think there is a possibility of a legal case and compensation which can include medical costs. If they don't claim it they won't get it. It's a genuine charge but your GF is only liable for it if she gets an award. So, assuming your GF was only in A&E for a short visit, she should only be liable for €100. Because of data protection the hospital can't or won't get info from the insurance companies and will try to make your GF do all the running. She can hold out and pay the minimum as well as possibly writing some letters. Slim

Obviously the hospital are just doing their job so you have to get that in writing from the hospital, supply it to the Bus company and you get your letter for the hospital. It would be far too easy for you to supply the phone number of the bus company and the hospital to ring them, (or hello 2011 - an email), to check if you are making a claim. Just lots of work for everybody but it keeps everybody employed.

Back