Rental Property Fence broken - can replacement be classed as repairs?

hippy1975

The fences on both sides of a rental property we have came down in the February storm, I was hoping to get them repaired and back up but I'm told that's not possible and a new fence is needed, costing possibly more than 2k (set in concrete with concrete posts) - can I write that off against tax as repairs, as it's money I would not have spent if the old fence hadnt come down??

To further complicate issues, I think my neighbors on both sides are preferring walls to another fence, I'd really prefer a fence and not sure I can afford walls, but I guess same question applies, can I still write it off against tax, prob more difficult in that scenario I suppose.....

As long as there isn't an "improvement" to the property, I think its fine to put as an expense.

If you replace a terrible fence with say a wooden fence and that blows down every two years, then it would just be plain silly not to put in a solid wall. The boundaries need replacing, that is clear.

It's back over to the old debate with revenue about whether replacing old rotten windows with new double glazing is an improvement or a replacement.

I don't think adding a block wall versus a wooden fence is going to increase the value of the house.

I wouldn't have any problem arguing this is a repair/replacment.

Thanks Bronte, good point re: not increasing the value of the house, it wouldn't, they are very small gardens in these houses anyway. While you could look at it as an improvement, i suppose it's actually just replacing what was there with something that will last longer. That's good enough for me, thanks!

Are you not better off from a tax point of view treating it as an improvement and claiming the capital allowance?

you could strengthen the fence without spending too much extra money on it. I've bedded wooden posts more strongly in concrete and its fixed the issue for me. Others I've seen have added bracing or ties to hold panels in place.

The fences on both sides of a rental property we have came down in the February storm, I was hoping to get them repaired and back up but I'm told that's not possible and a new fence is needed, costing possibly more than 2k (set in concrete with concrete posts) - can I write that off against tax as repairs, as it's money I would not have spent if the old fence hadnt come down??
Timber fence panels with concrete posts, right? They had my heart broken until I found these => [broken link removed]

Slap two of those on each post. There are also brackets for the end post - at each end of the fence. They also improve security as otherwise, those panels can simply be lifted up and someone can step underneath and across.

Back