Campsite Close to Bordeaux (within 1-2hrs drive)

Happy Girl

Hi, I have booked flights to bordeaux in middle of July and am now looking at possible campsites. Will have 2 teenagers (14 + 15) with us. We are past kids clubs, etc but we do want somewhere the teenagers can mix with fellow English speakers. Any suggestions?

If you go north along the west coast there are loads of good campsites in Capbreton, Hossegor, Vieux Boucoux, Moliets. I recommend that you research these areas - they are all situated on great surf beaches which would be ideal for your teenagers. There is a great mixture of nationalities during the high season, a lot of French, German and English mainly.

Slightly off topic but do you mind me asking how much you expect to pay for the holiday? I go to Spain every year and would like something different for 2015.

Thanks Eithneangela. We were in Seignosse close to Hossegor last year and found without doubt the best campsite we have ever stayed in. However most people there were French and Dutch and the kids didnt mix as well as they have previously done in other campsites. It is without doubt a fabulous part of France. NickyK I am presuming we will have very little change out of €2k for the accommodation and flights for 4 of us were just shy of €1k with Aer Lingus sale. Having said that it's as expensive as you want it to be while there. We never eat out and just stock up in the supermarket when we arrive. We either BBQ or cook indoors. Our main expense for the two weeks is bike hire which should come in around €200.

I think that in this area of southern France you are more than likely to meet a majority of French/Dutch/German holidaymakers. There are some campsites further north in the Vendee area where there are many English people, both tourists and residents, however this is probably more than a 4 hour drive north from Biarritz. I assume that driving time after arriving is important when travelling with children, so I think that has to be balanced by the availability of great campsites in the area you desire versus the fact that the majority of your fellow holidaymakers will be non-English speaking. Maybe the children could pick up a few phrases from different languages?

Oops, I've just noticed that it's Bordeaux you're flying into. Well, then I would definitely look at the Vendee area. We spent a number of happy holidays there in different campsites when the children were younger. You're also more likely to find English speaking holidaymakers because the drive south from the ferries is quite easy on the Autoroutes.

Thanks folks for recommendations. Have booked Les Chamrettes in Les Mathes about an hour and a half drive from Bordeaux airport.

Back