policy holder on 2 cars with 2 companies?

P

pgl

Hi,
Hope someone can help with this, finding it very hard to get answers anywhere!
Myself and my partner just bought a second car and were quoted approx 1000 euro for the policy with her as the policy holder and myself as a named driver. This compares to 350 euro on the first car with the same setup re- policy holder and named driver with the same company. The second car is bigger but the biggest factor is that apparently her six yrs no claims is only applicable to the first car! My questions are, for anyone that can help;
1. Is this a standard rule or is it discretionary depending on the company?
2. Is there anything stopping my partner from keeping the existing policy with this company and going to another company, if cheaper, for the second car and being the policy holder? i.e. can you be the policy holder on two cars with two different companies?
Any help would be greatly appreciated,
Thanks,
P

hi,

it is correct that you can only use your no claims bonus on one car. there are ways around this. if you phone a broker, and advise them that you will place both cars with them, they will know which is the cheapest method, i.e they may use named driving experience or give an introductory bonus on the 2nd car. they could use the full bonus on the higher engine + give an intro bonus on the smaller engine. i recommend cos all my family + friends are with them. if not then just go back to your current company + tell them you will cancel your policy. they might come back with a better solution.

It would be cheaper in your name provided you have full lic, no claims etc as you have been named on her policy for a long time and don't have another car (all assumptions here) so you would get a discount for being named on her policy. Again check with a broker as some companies will mirror a bonus.

Back