Biarritz to San Sebastian

TarfHead

We've booked flights to Biarritz and a hotel in San Sebastian for a couple of nights for a short break in July. I was told that getting from one to the other was straightforward.

No so :(.

The PESA bus leaves, as far as I can see, twice a day. Our flight arrives too late for the first one and about 5 hours before the second one. So that's out.

Private transfer seems prohibitively expensive. So that's out. Ditto for a taxi, assuming a taxi could cross the border.

The current plan is;
- bus from airport to Biarritz centre
- train from Biarritz La Negresse to Hendaye
- second train from Hendaye to San Sebastian

My beloved OH isn't thrilled about the 3 individual links in that plan. She is suggesting we get a taxi from the airport to Hendaye. According to Google Maps, that's about 30km.

Anyone know;
- likely cost of such a taxi trip, 2 adults with luggage ?
- any other options to consider ?

It's second nature for taxi drivers to travel from Biarritz airport to San Sebastian.

Fare will be in the region of €120 , you might consider googling "Biarritz Airport Transfers " & requesting a quote by email.

Unless you are on a Ryanair flight that arrives B before 3pm and departs for Dub after 4pm then you will nto be able to get the daily Pesa bus (pesa.net) which costs ten euros each way and departs B 3.30 and S.S. 2.30.

Taxis are for a 40 min journey a rip-off but ,sadly, you've no choice other than the way you first suggest . It can take three hours from B to S.S.by train depending on time of day/connections

Three day car hire from B airport about 200 euros,not much less for two days.

The current plan is;
- bus from airport to Biarritz centre
- train from Biarritz La Negresse to Hendaye
- second train from Hendaye to San Sebastian

Stick with your plan. Get the local Chronoplus bus from the airport to Biarritz Gare la Negresse or get a taxi. It’s less than 10 euro. Note the Gare isn't in Biarritz Centre - it's just around the airport perimeter. Then get a local train to Hendaye. Then get the Topo train from Hendaye to Donostia (San Sebastian) Amara station.

If money is tight and if it was possible to cancel your booking in san sebastien for the hotel without penalties then I would think about spending the couple of nights in Biarritz this time. They are both beautiful cities with great beaches and easy to spend a couple of days in either. of course you would need to see if its still possible to book accomadation in Biarritz first

Last edited:
Cancelled the hotel booking in San Sebastian, booked one in Saint Jean de Luz.

Going on a Tuesday, back Friday - too much time spent travelling and waiting for connections.

Back