Am I being overcharged for plumbing job???Need advice

E

elaine8

I recently put in a pump shower pump into hotpress and shower upstairs in main bathroom...I supplied both pump and shower..the plumber has charged me 800 euro electrician included for labour and materials...don't know much about plumbing but thought it would be much less..haven't paid him as of yet???Am i right to think that this is very steep???

For installation of 2 showers - one of which requires heavy duty cable from fuse box to electric shower it mightn't be too bad.

Did you not ask for a price before he did the job? :confused:

No one shower not electric......He was a friends partner so didn't think he would have charged through the roof...pump was put in hot press upstairs and shower in room next door..not electric

OK - I'm neither a plumber nor electrician (far from, in both cases) but to me, based on other prices I've heard, this seems expensive.

I presume you were not advised of anything 'unusual' that might result in greater cost - material or labour?

No nothing i'm just at a loss now.....Never again would i ask someone i know to do a job its not worth the hassle.......He had to come back another day because there was water running out the back of the shower where u turn it on(aparently the showers fault;-) !!!!i'm so disheartened cause everyone i speak to thinks i'm getting ripped off... I'm gonna ring him and ask for a break down on the price thanks for all the replies il be asking for a quote from now on ......U LIVE AND LEARN!!

yeah seems a tad excessive but depends if plumber had to do additional piping run for mixer shower in bathroom and for valve. i recently got shower pump installed in hotpress and got plumber to supply 1.5 bar pump. Total cost was €350. This included electrican who arrived with plumber to put in 13amp plug in hotpress for pump. I also got a quote of €200 labour only from different plumber but cheapest pump i could obtain was €150 approx

Welcome to AAM Elaine8, please note that we don't like posts.
Leo

I recently put in a pump shower pump into hotpress and shower upstairs in main bathroom...I supplied both pump and shower..the plumber has charged me 800 euro electrician included for labour and materials...don't know much about plumbing but thought it would be much less..haven't paid him as of yet???Am i right to think that this is very steep???
Elaine no point in crying over spilled milk, I got a quote of a very good friend to hang some doors for me,then I got another quote from someone else who was 20% cheaper and also good carpenter as was my friend .Guess who I went with and I am still good friends with mu mate.He said fair enough no harm done.The issue is not that you got a friends partner to do it but that you did not get a price up front and then compared it with 2 other quotes that you should have got.You have learned a valuable lesson maybe down 200 e or so but this could have been a bigger job you where getting done extension etc. Lesson learned and dont fall out with your mate out in down to experience.Do what Tiger Woods does after a really bad hole forget it and move on.I can recommend a good plumber who has done work for people here on aam and I got good feedback.

agree with dodo. its done now so you have to pay for it unfortunately. Not sure its that over expensive though?

agree with dodo. its done now so you have to pay for it unfortunately. Not sure its that over expensive though?
id agree that i dont think thats its overly expensive seeing as there were two tradesmen involved ie plumber and electrician.Also what i find at the moment is that tradesmen who up to now have been only working on sites seem to think they should be charging rates for jobs that were being charged two years ago when they were doing "NIXERS". Their also trying to get almost a weeks wages from one job.i know because im a tradesman myself but my company has only always concentrated on small jobs and ihave also seen a drop in what you can charge and what people can AFFORD.

was there a shower in the same place before,if so what type, did he also supply shower door and tray by any chance, was he really a plumber or a handy man. in the trade myself and even in celtic tiger age would have been happy with less than half that. unless i am missing something.

Hey thanks for that Skingtile.....right here is the latest update. I've gotten a break down of price..But firstly to answer your questions...It was over a bath we supplied the shower the pump and the shower screen(which was put up by the tiler who was very reasonable!!!!!!)

So here goes he is charging us PER HOUR so Day one he claims he was there from half 9 to half 5 and has charged 45euro an hour..Day two he was there from half 9 to half 3 His materials cost him 120....electrician cost 95 euro which is included in that pricing

He also included day three NO CHARGE eventhough the reason he had to come back was the shower was leaking!!!!!!His fault????

socky 1 is on the ball and i stand by my statement, did he supply you with a vat invoice for that amount,for my own curiousity do you know if he brought the pipes up from undernneath the bath or down from the ceiling and has the water pressure in your bath increased, probably means nothing to you but plumbers reading will know

I been over charged. I got a new boiler and relocate my pipes 1/2 meter down towards the kitchen. Plumber charge’s me €6k . I only paid 4.5k still owe him 1.5k what should ? Is there a complaint line to contact?

I been over charged. I got a new boiler and relocate my pipes 1/2 meter down towards the kitchen. Plumber charge’s me €6k . I only paid 4.5k still owe him 1.5k what should ? Is there a complaint line to contact?
Did you agree a price in advance? What contract was put in place prior to commencing the work? Did you shop around to find out what the going rate for the work was?

If the plumber was connected to a large company, they might have a complaints procedure, but there is no central body that will handle complaints like this.

It might be an expensive lesson, but you should never allow anyone to commence work without an agreement on the scope of work and charges.

We got a plumber out to look at our washing machine recently. It broke down and repeatedlt stops mid-cycle.
The plumber spent at most 5 minutes looking at it and said it wasn't worth fixing. Best get a new one.

And charged €60 call out charge.
:(

We got a plumber out to look at our washing machine recently. It broke down and repeatedlt stops mid-cycle.
The plumber spent at most 5 minutes looking at it and said it wasn't worth fixing. Best get a new one.

And charged €60 call out charge.
:(
It never pays to be honest. You'd probably be happier had he billed you hundreds for replacement parts instead of deeming it wiser to for you to buy a new one. Did you expect he'd call out for free?

He certainly spent a lot more than 5 minutes on it too, unless he arrived and left by magic carpet.

Last edited:
Back