Contents Only Insurance And Flooring

Quigley

Hi we'e moved into a duplex apartment and need to get contents only insurance but we also need to get the floors insured as the block insurance does not cover this. I have tried ringing around a few insurance brokers but none will cover flooring under contents. Does anyone know of anywhere that will do this.

Does the block insurance really adequately cover all your potential losses in the case of fire ? your fitted kitchen and bathroom suite, as well as the floors.
If you upgrade these, what is covered ?

We bought from fingal county council so at the mo there are two fingal employees who are acting as director and secretary of the management company. There wont be transfer over to the residents until next year as its taking a while to get everyone into the block. I ckecked with the management company and they said that units would probably be covered as they were in before we moved in and so would wooden floors but defo not carpets or vinyl??i dont really understand it meself. Have emailed 123.ie and they replied saying they coudl do it but i havent rang them yet so will let you know if theyre able to cover the floors in the contents insurance.

in very simple terms, anything you would take with you if moving is contents and anything left in is buildings.

curtains would be contents, builtin robes/kitchen is buildings. timber floor is buildings, carpets could possibly be both!!

Carperts are contents, never buildings. But that rule is a fairly good guide. Except when it goes down to talking about the likes of kitchen appliances and fitted kitchen appliances.

Hi we'e moved into a duplex apartment and need to get contents only insurance but we also need to get the floors insured as the block insurance does not cover this. I have tried ringing around a few insurance brokers but none will cover flooring under contents. Does anyone know of anywhere that will do this.

Im in the same boat. Does anyone have any info?

Quigley and Davidium,

Block insurance generally covers any permanent features (including wooden floors) that were provided as standard by the developer. If you make improvements/alterations to the building, such as wardrobes/kitchens/wooden floors, after you purchase the property you must provide insurance for your own investment. Some block insurers will extend the policy for your unit and charge you an additional fee, check this with your management company. Otherwise, go to an insurance provider who will allow you to purchase a buildings and contents policy for an apartment - but remember, most of these policies are subject to a minimum level of cover on buildings which means you are likely to be paying for cover that you don't need.

Back