Public Liability for small Limited Companies

A

alfakev

I am a contractor with a one-person limited company in the engineering industry and i have recently been told by my employer that i need public liability even though I am covered by their professional indemnity. Any insurance company i talk to says this makes no sense. Anyone know who I should talk to or where I should go for insurance?

Public Liability is different to Professional Indemnity Insurance. Public Liability will indemnify your company for damage/injury caused by you/your company to third parties.

Call a insurance broker or some direct companies for a quotation.

Johno

what exactly do you do?

If you caused an accident or alleged accident to someone else in the course of your work, you certainly need Public Liability cover.

If you are a contractor then you are not an employee. Therefore you need your own public liability insurance.

If you are an employee, having PAYE deducted etc then it's your employers responsibility.

I have already contacted a number of insurance companies but the products they offer are more suitable for the building industry and not my area - mainly office based. I don't want to pay high premiums for no reason.

Your employer is probably trying to get a cheaper insurance for themselves by telling their own insurer that their contractors have their own PL insurance. Call a few brokers to ask for a quote. Then use increased expenses as a reason to renegotiate your rates with your employer.

I was in a similar position to yourself,got quotes from Quinn-Direct and Coyle/Hamilton,but the best quote was from Kidd Insurance in Dublin,www.kiddinsurances.com

Back