I have the cash, should I pay off a CU loan?

O

o'dowda

I am intersted in this, i have a loan of 20.000 from a credit, i can pay this off at the moment and still have cash for a rainy day, my question is can i get a better interst rate from a deposit, or would it be better to pay it off.

I am intersted in this, i have a loan of 20.000 from a credit, i can pay this off at the moment and still have cash for a rainy day, my question is can i get a better interst rate from a deposit, or would it be better to pay it off.

Hi O'Dowda, welcome to AAM,

It depends on what interest rate you are paying on the credit union loan. If you are paying less than 4%, and I very much doubt it, you might get an equivalent rate from a deposit. You could check the best buys section here on the forum on deposits.

Overall, probably best to reduce your loan.

Thanks Slim. Yes your right, i think it's better to clear the loan, nowhere gives over 9% the C/U charges and then i can take the money I'm currently paying for the loan
and put it somewhere i can get some interest.

Absolutely best to clear the loan with a CU.

They usually have very high interest rates.

And there is the additional risk to your money, whereever they are on deposit.

Brendan

Absolutely best to clear the loan with a CU.
Best advice for OP is to put payment off loan rather than into shares.

They usually have very high interest rates.
Hmmm! Bit of a large paintbrush you are wielding there Brendan... Your own CU has rates from 5.9% to 9.4%. Yes they are high compared to mortgage (with the exception of pTSB) and interbank rates but surely not when compared to current personal loans from banks?
Some
CU's charge the allowed maximum 1%pm.:(
Some
CU's charge less than half the maximum permitted...;)

And there is the additional risk to your money, whereever they are on deposit.
Can I assume you are referring to the chances that the CU might have invested in some exotic and/or risky financial products?
In the past - yes - some with spectacularly bad consequences for Members funds. In support of them - it is not like they were alone in picking the 'also ran' from the list of runners!
Now - I would expect not as the Regulator awoken from his comfy coma and gets quarterly reports on how much, where and for how long the Members funds are invested.

Hi Crugers

This guy has a €20,000 loan at 9% which means he is paying €1,800 per year in interest.

We have no idea where he has the money on deposit. It might be or might not be in a credit union. It's probably not because surely, if they were to act in his best interests, they would have advised him to pay off the loan. ;)

So let's say it's in AIB. If AIB and the government goes bust, he will end up owing €20,000 to his credit union and will have no assets.

If he pays off his loan, and AIB goes bust, he will not lose anything.

I do not expect AIB and/or the government to go bust, but I would not take the risk.

Brendan

Back