Bank Of Ireland CC over the top security?

MysticX

Hi all,
Specifically I've had my credit card locked down a few times due to "suspicious" behaviour (always having to ring them up to get it unlocked).

I haven't used my credit card ina few months and decided to get ahead on the Xmas shopping with a small order of DVDs and games (separated into two consignments as I wanted to make sure they could fit through a letter box without trouble) from a well known site. Total would be < £25.

So got home today with an e-mail telling me that payment was refused... and sure enough calling BOI confirmed that it was flagged as "suspicous" behaviour and so the transaction declined.... so etc etc get it unlocked / cleared and replaced the order.

I can understand the need for security but:
-This is a pretty small value order.
-I've used this site multiple times before without a problem and in previous years too (on the same CC account)!

Well sure it would be suspicious if it was a huge order on a new site that I've never used before but comeon a small value order on a site where I have a long history with???

No, I never experienced fraud or other related troubles on the CC as I'm very careful where I use my CC.:)

Call them and see if they can tune the security/fraud checking procedures at all. I had a similar problem with Halifax current/deposit accounts (not CC) when they were here and some regular and large transactions kept triggering security/fraud checks and confirmations. Once I explained how I tended to use the accounts (all legitimate I hasten to add m'lud ;)) they were able to alter the way that they applied their security/fraud procedures.

Small orders can often be done by fraudsters initially to see if a card will be accepted on a site so there is some logic to what BOI are doing. Possibly it might have been the 2 orders that triggered the alert, that might not be considered normal behaviour by the software used by BOI

Best way is to call them and ask them to alert you by text if/when a prob arises. I've done this, and each time an alert arises (which is not very often), I get a text with a direct line number to contact to sort it out. That way, I never have a refusal.

Small orders can often be done by fraudsters initially to see if a card will be accepted on a site so there is some logic to what BOI are doing. Possibly it might have been the 2 orders that triggered the alert, that might not be considered normal behaviour by the software used by BOI

This will be the reason. 2 small orders within a short period of time.

Best way is to call them and ask them to alert you by text if/when a prob arises. I've done this, and each time an alert arises (which is not very often), I get a text with a direct line number to contact to sort it out. That way, I never have a refusal.

I do the same. Generally they just ask for an "ok" txt back if all is well and to contact them if not. Much simpler.

It can be annoying but if some scam was going on I would like to be alerted.

Good feedback folks thanks.
I've given them my mobile so hopefully I'll get early warnings from now on.

Back