Home Unoccupied Property and Insurance

elainem

Hi! I have an unoccupied S.23 property in May - can't let it - have tried continually, but no luck. It's unlet since last summer. When I went to renew the insurance in Septebmer, I told them it was unoccupied and I couldn't get a tenant. They insured the property for 6 months for fire only. Now they have told me that they will only renew it for a further three months for fire only - and if it's unoccupied longer than that, they won't insure it.

My question is: can they actually do that? I thought that once you were with an insurance company (previously they had insured it when it was let) that they are obliged to keep ensuring it if there has been no break in the insurance - am I misguided?

Has anyone else been in this situation?
Thanks.

yes you are misguided. No one is obliged to insure property. There is only an obligation to provide motor insurance. However there are about 3 insurers or more who will do this for you.

Kennco have a scheme for it but would have to access it through a broker. Alan B Kidds in Nutgrove are another. Willis also have one but I'm not sure whether its commercial only.

How often do you have to stay in a house to say you are in occupation for insurance purposes ?
If you stay in a house for four nights of the week is that regarded as "occupied" or if you visit the house during the day does that count ?

The general rule is that a property cannot be left unoccupied for more than 30 days in a row. An insurance company will look for utility records to confirm occupancy in a period confirmed by usage. Properties must also generally be fully furnished.

You need to check with your actual insurer as it varies from 30 days to 60 days.
In the case of a claim KKelliher is correct to state that utility records will be required.

The general rule is that a property cannot be left unoccupied for more than 30 days in a row. An insurance company will look for utility records to confirm occupancy in a period confirmed by usage. Properties must also generally be fully furnished.

Back