underpaid tax in 2012 & 2013

guideanna

Hi all,

i underpaid tax (due to rental income tax) in 2012&2013.

I was told that the amount would be deducted from my pay cheque every month over 2 years however i have not yet been given any deductions and we are over half way through the year.
I don't want to question my employer as i didn't really want him to know why there was an underpayment.
Revenue should have just notified him about a change to my tax credits.

Who do i need to chase up on this?

Hi all,

I was told that the amount would be deducted from my pay cheque every month over 2 years however i have not yet been given any deductions and we are over half way through the year.
I don't want to question my employer as i didn't really want him to know why there was an underpayment.

What years does your P21(s) say will have tax credits reduced - is 2014 one of them?
Do you know for certain that your tax credits haven't been reduced - i.e. are you sure there isn't a slip up at your employer's end?
If you have PAYE anytime you can check what credits you have and which employment they are assigned to.

Hi all,

I presume it was the Tax man who said he would deduct over 2 years?

Suggest get onto Tax man and let him know money has not come out and suggest you set up a Standing order to sort.
In that way your employer need not know and Taxman gets sorted.

yes it was revenue who divided it up over 2 years for me.
hopefully i can still work off that arrangement starting from when i set up payment arrangements.

yes it was revenue who divided it up over 2 years for me.
hopefully i can still work off that arrangement starting from when i set up payment arrangements.

Your reference to a 2013 underpayment suggests that it's a recently issued P21 - so you should answer the questions I posed in my first post!!

As the underpayment was for 2012 & 2013 it was not discovered until 2014 so the revenue would reduce the tax credits for 2 years starting 2015.

Back