Certification of Compliance - what do I need to do to get one?

Shiraz

Hi,

I can’t work out what I need to do to get a Certification of Compliance to Building regulations.

I am doing some renovations and a small (5m2) extension to my house.
The main structural changes in the renovations are :
· Widening a window on a supporting wall to make a 3m wide opening for sliding doors.
· In another room on another supporting wall, widening a doorway to a 2m wide opening.

I need to get the work Certified, to ensure it is safe, and it case I sell the house in the future. I’ve googled, but I can’t work out what I need to do. E.g. :
· Do I need to get designs/construction drawings? I don’t have any drawings – the builder just did the work. Do I need a Design Certifier to sign off on these plans?
· Then get an assigned Certified for the build itself. Does he need to review during the course of building, or just at the end? Are there forms I need to fill in?
· Do I need a fire safety certificate?

Some background :
I’m just using a builder – no architect. My builder has already done the above demolition work, but I haven’t seen any calculations on the loads etc on the lintels. I should have done this at the start, but now I’d like to get a Structural Engineer to do proper calculations and specifications of the loads, forces etc, and ensure the lintels meet the needs. I guess these calculations would be needed as input to getting the Certificate of Compliance?

Any input or advice would be great!
Thanks,
Shiraz

You need to get an Engineer on it ASAP so, there's little that can be done once the work is progressing. Did you discuss certification with your builder at any stage prior to giving him the go-ahead?

No. I was so naive - I thought a Compliance Cert was something that was just done at the end.

The builder is recommending a Structural Engineer. I dont know if it would be better to get one independently.

I'll ask the SE, but is there anywhere to find out what Building Regulations apply to my small extension and renovations - e.g. Part A (Structure) will apply - but what about Part B (Fire), Part F (ventilation), Part H (drainage) etc. When I google it, I'm finding it hard to work out what applies to a big extension/new build versus the smaller work I'm getting done.

Back