Career Break Advice Needed

NorthBeach

Hi,

I am currently on a fixed term career break and am due to return to the company where I have worked for almost 10 years in October. However, the company has just been sold, there will be redundancies and I want to try get an idea as to where I stand before I contact them. I was never issued with a P45 however, I was told at the time that I would be, as technically your employment comes to an end when you take a career break - regardless if you are due to return. I know this is probably something I may need to get legal advice on but thought I would see if anyone here has had a similar experience.

Thanks.

While waiting for replies here you could give [broken link removed] a call and they will confirm your rights.

Hi,

I am currently on a fixed term career break and am due to return to the company where I have worked for almost 10 years in October. However, the company has just been sold, there will be redundancies and I want to try get an idea as to where I stand before I contact them. I was never issued with a P45 however, I was told at the time that I would be, as technically your employment comes to an end when you take a career break - regardless if you are due to return. I know this is probably something I may need to get legal advice on but thought I would see if anyone here has had a similar experience.

Thanks.

As a matter of interest, did your career break start this year? If not, and assuming that your employer didn't do up a P45 for you, then you may still have been on their books at year-end. In which case you should have got a P60 - did you?

Also, assuming that your career break started during a tax year, rather than on 31 December, then then you may well be entitled to a PAYE refund - and possibly a USC refund too! So you need to find out your employment status!

Back