I bought in 2013 and paid LPT. Anyone got a refund yet?

putsch

I bought in 2013 and paid LPT but now am entitled to refund. I emailed and wrote to revenue (even though website was contradictory - saying in one place to contact them and in another not to contact them) asking for the refund but haven't heard anything.

Its a substantial sum and I could do with it!

Same here - would love to hear from anyone who has received a letter from Revenue.I wish they would outline a timescale for resolving this

I imagine they didn't anticipate refunds and haven't devised the system to deal with it yet. So don't count on getting it any time soon.

email from revenue re:lpt refund

I emailed Revenue on 9th November saying that we had paid lpt in 2013 and registered to pay it in 2014. I requested a refund and confirmation of the exemption.

On 8th January I got an email from them saying they cancelled my payment instructions for 2014. It also said Revenue would contact me shortly and advise on what action I should take if I qualify for the exemption. I haven't heard anything else from them.

An article in today's Indo:

Thousands still waiting for refund of property tax

Officials from the tax office are poring over stamp duty returns to see who is due a refund, Finance Minister [broken link removed] told [broken link removed]'s [broken link removed] in a Dail reply.

He added: "There is a significant amount of work involved in identifying individuals who bought in 2013 and who are entitled to the exemption.
"When this is completed, Revenue will write to these individuals and will provide advice on what action should be taken where the individual confirms that s/he qualifies for the exemption and wishes to claim it, so that s/he may receive a refund of LPT (local property tax) paid for 2013 or 2014."

A Revenue spokeswoman said it was making good progress identifying people eligible for a refund and would write to them. She added that a "small number of refunds have been made on foot of contact from property owner" but conceded that the majority of people had yet to get a refund.

I just heard Vivienne Dempsey of the Revenue on Morning Ireland.

Interviewer: "People who bought properties last year and who are exempt, but some paid because they didn't know they were exempt, will they get a refund?"

Dempsey: " In fact we have already received claims from invidviduals who have gone on line, ticked the FTB exemption. That shows on our records as an exemption . If they have paid the tax, that will generate a refund. and we have already in fact been sending refunds back to several thousand cases who have applied.

So yes, take advantage of that self correction, also to apply for the FTB exemption , if you feel you qualify."

Brendan

I just logged onto lpt online but there was no category to cover my situation in the online form , which has a drop down menu for the different reasons to claim an exemption. I then rang the lpt help line and explained that I had bought a second hand house in 2013 and was not a first-time buyer. The lady from revenue said that I should tick the first time buyer category to claim the refund and exemption as they didn't know that all purchasers in 2013 would be exempt when they set up the online system. She said the refund would be issued by cheque in a few weeks time.
I told her I was a bit concerned to be ticking the ftb category when I not a ftb , but she reiterated that was what I should do. So I followed her instructions and then send an email to revenue recording what I had done. Not very satisfactory but I hope it will be ok and the refund will issue.

That is contradictory to the Independant article and she should have been called on it at the interview.

The interview was about the extension of the deadline to the 31st March. When I heard that they would be covering it in the next part of the show, I emailed them with the questions.

Had the item been about the refunds, they would have been much better briefed.

The Revenue spokesperson should have explained who was entitled to the FTB exemption.

This was the first time I heard that how a person can get a refund. They didn't tell Charlie Weston when he wrote that article. They didn't tell previous callers.

I am glad to see that Carmel has tested the system.

I told her I was a bit concerned to be ticking the ftb category when I not a ftb , but she reiterated that was what I should do. So I followed her instructions and then send an email to revenue recording what I had done. Not very satisfactory but I hope it will be ok and the refund will issue.

Hi Carmel

I wouldn't worry too much. The spokesperson for the Revenue has publicly said that this is how it's to be done.

I was speakling to someone from LPT Head Office earlier and was told that they are starting to issues refunds now. I have been told that mine has been sent for payment and I should receive within 2-3 weeks.

QUESTION NO: 87
DÁIL QUESTION addressed to the Minister for Finance (Deputy Michael Noonan)
by Deputy Michael McGrath
for
WRITTEN ANSWER on 20/02/2014

To ask the Minister for Finance if he will ensure that those who have received notification of a liability for local property tax in 2014 and have chosen to pay by single debit authority but who are in fact entitled to a three year exemption, will not have the LPT deducted from their accounts on 21 March; the number of persons he estimates will fall in to this category; and if he will make a statement on the matter.

REPLY.

Any property owner, who has claimed an exemption from Local Property Tax (LPT) in filing their 2013 LPT1 Return, provided they continue to satisfy the conditions, will be exempt until the end of 2016.
However, if the Deputy is referring to property owners who may now qualify for an exemption under section 8 of the Finance (Local Property Tax) Act 2012 (as amended), in my reply to Question 166 on 4 February I informed the House how Revenue would deal with these cases. The Revenue Commissioners have advised me that the section 8 exemption applies to a clearly defined group of property owners, who are being identified using Stamp Duty records. There is a significant amount of work involved in identifying individuals who bought in 2013 and who may be entitled to claim the exemption. The Deputy will be aware that the section 8 exemption only applies to properties that are used as the person's sole or main residence.
The Commissioners further advise that they have prioritised the work involved in identifying the potential property owners affected and they confirm that further progress has been made. When this work is completed Revenue will write to these individuals and will provide advice on what action should be taken where the individual confirms that she or he qualifies for the exemption and how they should go about claiming it.
I am further informed that any property owner who falls into this category can now claim the exemption under section 8 by accessing their LPT record using their Property ID, PIN and PPSN without waiting for the letter from Revenue. Step-by-step instructions on how to claim the exemption online are available on the Commissioner's website at the following link http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/lpt/section8-exemption.html. Where a claim for exemption under Section 8 has been received by Revenue and found to be in order, Revenue has confirmed that if the property owner had completed a Single Debit Authority (SDA) dated 21 March 2014 that the SDA will not be activated by Revenue where Revenue is notified no later than 10 March.
For those property owners who do not manage to claim the exemption before 10 March and had completed the SDA, when they subsequently claim the exemption the overpaid LPT will be refunded.
Revenue has advised that the number of property owners who qualify for the exemption under section 8 and who also completed the SDA will not be available until the claims for exemption are finalised.

Thanks for posting that. I've gone in and amended the return selecting the exemption as suggested. We'll see now how long it takes.

Its one month on since I claimed the LPT exemption on-line and I still haven't received the refund. I rang them today and they said that depending on the amount of claims that come in at one time, there can be delays beyond one month. I was originally told that it would be 2-3 weeks.

I sent off a complaint about the delay.

Another update

I came home to find a brown envelope from Revenue yesterday and was certain it was a cheque with a refund but.......it was a letter from Revenue stating that their records show that I purchased a house in 2013 and paid LPT. It then gives instructions on how to claim the exemption on-line. Of course, I did this more than a month ago.......

I came home to find a brown envelope from Revenue yesterday and was certain it was a cheque with a refund but.......it was a letter from Revenue stating that their records show that I purchased a house in 2013 and paid LPT. It then gives instructions on how to claim the exemption on-line. Of course, I did this more than a month ago.......

Ditto! Had the same letter telling me to go online and update last year's return - I did that in January and also have written and emailed. :(

Back