Ulster Bank Systems Down, Many Left Without Money

Status
Not open for further replies.
The restoration of 'full service' has been delayed, again, from the end of this week to "early next week".
... and thus into the start of next month when many people have the mortgage payments going out from their accounts! What an almight mess UB are making of this. What I don't get is how come UB are so far behind the other RBS banks in sorting this out given it was the same issue to affect them all?

Like many people, I switched from AIB to UB in the last few months because of AIBs new charges. I've been hearing rumours that UB are bringing in similar charges? Any truth in this? In light of their current situation, they'd be nuts to do so. I'd certainly be jumping ship....again!

Due to get paid last Thursday. Still not received anything. Has anyone got payment that was due last Thursday or can we try and figure out ourselves what is the actual backlog at this stage.

Due to get paid last Thursday. Still not received anything. Has anyone got payment that was due last Thursday or can we try and figure out ourselves what is the actual backlog at this stage.

An aquaintance was due to get the salary paid into UB last Wednesday, and it came in overnight. So maybe yours will come in tonight?

Still waiting on a payment which should have hit my account last thurs. morning....

Just noticed all my credit card transactions have been updated, but not my income transactions. I'll be watching with an eagle eye for any charges which might be made on my accounts.

Just called into my UB branch to lodge cash in case my salary doesn't get credited on Friday, to cover any D/D's I have coming out early next week. Was informed that the cash won't show up on the system & they can't guarantee that my salary will either. If D/D's missed they will "sort it out". So kept my money in my handbag - what's the point? Very disappointing.

Wow - that's incredible Harry31. To not be able to even lodge cash over the counter a full week after the "incident" is unbelievable.

Wow - that's incredible Harry31. To not be able to even lodge cash over the counter a full week after the "incident" is unbelievable.

The staff on the counters look defeated! Come to think of it their salaries may not be credited either. It's unbelievable that this is still going on - has the head of UB in Ireland been called into the central bank? Why are the government not making any statements - not that I've seen anyway. They'll make them about banning smoking in cars but not this - at least they have their priorities right!!

Have been hit with a late payment on my credit card although the funds to pay off the balance in full left my account on the 19th but didn't reach the credit card account.

I'm not going to bother chasing it up with them until next week when things are back to normal as they have enough on their plate. However I would have thought that the sensible thing would have been to put a 'stop' on late payment charges during this outage...

This was discussed on 5:7 live today and it seems that not just UB but Nat west (is it) and RBS systems were all effected with UB being the only one still down.

It seems if one goes the lot goes, no ring fencing for any of them and it seems no 'backup' files/system which is amazing.

That is a rough interpetation of what was said

A decision was made to fix up Natwest and RBS first before Ulster bank, because of the larger customer base. RBS own Natwest and Ulster and outsourced all their IT to Chennai in India 3 years ago, making over 1000 staff in Dublin and Edinburgh redundant. Also with the move to India, they decided to penny pinch on their backup system, to save even more money

Firstly, it was expected to be fixed by Friday of last week.
Then it was expected to be fixed by Monday of this week.
Then it was expected to be fixed by Friday of this week.
Then it was expected to be fixed by Monday of next week.
Now it is expected to be fixed by "the middle of next week".

Firstly, it was expected to be fixed by Friday of last week.
Then it was expected to be fixed by Monday of this week.
Then it was expected to be fixed by Friday of this week.
Then it was expected to be fixed by Monday of next week.
Now it is expected to be fixed by "the middle of next week".

I get a sense they still don't actually know what is wrong. I could understand using the word 'expected' at the beginning when they were trying to establish what happened but a week later is strange I think.

In 2004 a large group of HSE workers didn't get paid on a Thursday. Friday morning we got a mail saying exactly when it would be sorted and it was sorted exactly when they said.

Yet UB will get away scot free.

I have already given my HR dept a new bank a/c to which my salary will be sent to in the future.I will within the next month or so return all UB cheque books and close the four a/cs I have with them.

If they think they are going to be keeping my custom having denied me access to my money,the ability to pay bills and most importantly the ability to pay my mortgage then they are even more half witted than the suited geniuses who outsourced those IT jobs to Bangladesh or wherever third world country they ended up in.

Anyone who remains with UB as a customer after this event is nuts.

Daily batches are being updated gradually. Now up to 21st June. These include direct debits, standing orders, cheques and electronic credits from other banks.

I know someone who's salary has not hit their account for 4 days. They got an interest free overdraft from Ulster Bank today to the value of their salary. They had to answer a significant number of questions and queue for 1 hour 30 minutes to get the overdraft.

Having said that, I wired money from PTSB to UB yesterday, the money was in the UB account today.

Some transfers are working. Some are backlogged.

http://www.siliconrepublic.com/strategy/item/27990-rbs-may-sue-ca-over/

Royal Bank of Scotland (RBS) is in discussions about taking legal action against US enterprise software giant CA because of the computer update that caused the massive backlog that disrupted banking services for thousands of banking customers in Ireland and the UK.
According to The Financial Times, people familiar with the situation say there is a significant chance of litigation being pursued against external technology suppliers because of the software glitch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back