break in North Spain

eddiew

Myself, my wife and 14 year old son plan to fly to Girona on Easter Wednesday for 3 days. Is this worthwhile? Would like to stay in comfortable accomodation, see a few nice places, relax and eat well for the few days. Told that there are some nice towns about Pals etc. Prefer not to drive though!! Should we stay in Girona or in one of the these local towns? Any advice please on what to see, accomodation and restaurants?

Girona is a lovely place to stay for a few days. Plenty restaurants interesting old town. The Dali museum in Figueres should be of interest to you all. There are trains from girona to Barcelona....some of these go along the coast so you could use train to go to a beach or visit barcelona (or both) No need to rent a car unless you want to get off the beaten track. There is a cycling path that might interest you . google girona greenways ...

We stayed in Girona for a few days it was lovely and we stayed in Pensiluar hotel it was very good. We went to tossa de mar by bus which was a beach resort and we enjoyed that also and there was lovely walks there and it was very spanish and easy to get to by bus but Girona is nice and of course you can go to Barcelona also.

Girona is a lovely town. As previous poster said you can travel by train up to Figueres which is home to the Salvador Dali museum - it's a really different type of art museum, quite quirky so should be interesting to a 14yr old.

You can go further north & into France on the train - wonderful scenic journey as the rail hugs the coast

You can also travel the other direction to Barcelona, which has lots of interesting sights. If your son is into football he'll find a trip to Noucamp very entertaining.

The old medieval Jewish quarter of Girona is wonderful to stroll around.

I'm sure you can travel inland to the mountains also, though haven't personally tried this.

Port Aventura park is quite close to Barcelona. I'm sure you could manage a day trip if you felt inclined.

We have stayed in the region a couple of times. It's very nice although I've never been to Girona it'self. Would recommend Barcelona for a visit. Port Aventura is a one hours drive further south than Barcelona so probably at least 2 hrs from Girona.

Back