Car rental with child seats (in france)

car

Hi,
Need to rent a car next month for 2 weeks in france. We have a 3 and 4 yr old and so will need child seats. Im seeing big differences in prices for renting the child seats from the different rentals companies when pricing. Anyone done similar and can advise. thanks.

We go to France alot, we never rent car seats, we take them with us. 2 kids. We got a car seat bag (in America I'm afraid) and we put it through as oversized luggage. Initially we put them in 2 Killeen Heavy Duty (Green) bags wrapped with sellotape and tied with a luggage strap. Quite cumbersome but at least we know how to fit out own carseats. Not such an issue now for our 5 year old as the car seat relies on the seat belt only rather than an integral harness, so renting might be 'safe' now, but depending on the sizes of your 3 and 4 year olds, you may be relying on an integral harness carseat, and if so I'd take your own. When we first travelled with kids, we rented them, and the car company cannot install them for insurance reasons, and 9 times out of 10 they don't have the manual, and then the way they install seem to be different to ours here, they have extra belt clips...
I think the rental price is generally 35-50 per rental.

Not tried it in France but in the UK and Spain I find it hard to find car rental that has decent seats, and often none at all even if they are offered on the website. Last time, we found a car shop a few minutes away and just bought a car seat when we landed.

Autoeurop.ie generally charge about €70 for the duration of the rental, however long. It's not shown on the website but the additional charge is detailed on your confirmation slip if you've requested one.

You pay for the regular car rental via the internet and pay locally for the child seat at the time of collection.

I've rented in UK and Spain from the large renters thinking that they would have good child seats for my 2 year old. We had alot of trouble with child seats and would now bring one or buy one depending on the duration of trip. The seats they all provide look to be the cheapest and God only know the wear and tear they get.

Cheaper to buy a seat there (if you can).

Not really a practical option though.

If if you still have the will to go looking after getting to your destination, you're unlikely to find one at the airport. Beyond that, you'll need your car to go shopping elesewhere and you can't really do this without a child seat.

We hired 1 infant and 1 booster seat on our first trip to France last year with Hertz. We were handed the seats in the office car park and were told we had to fit them ourselves. Big problem as we had never used this type of seat before, instructions were in French and staff in Hertz were not allowed to fit them ( company policy ) Stupid I know. We tried 4 baby seats and had to settled for one. O yeah and I forgot to add the smell of sick on seats and stains. Yuck.

Second time we travelled to France we took our own, bliss, no hassle at all and baby was happy.

TAKE YOUR OWN SEATS TO FRANCE

Back