Chile

M

matob

I plan to go to Santiago, Chile in June. Any suggestions about where to stay or what to do?

Are you looking for hotel or hostel?

As cities go I can't really recommend Santiago. Its a bit grim and smog filled.
There is enough to keep you going for a day or two but not much longer.

Are you going elsewhere in Chile?

I didn't dislike Santiago that much - grim and smog filled is probably a bit harsh (sounds to me like LA :) ) ... but fully agree with the suggestion to go elsewhere in Chile and spend no more than a day or two in Santiago ... Go up the top or down the bottom of the country!

I stayed in the Hotel Carrera when I was there and it was very central - it was nice but I believe is now closed for redevelopment.

Santiago is a great town for a few days – but skip Valparaiso, it’s a dump. I definitely recommend the Hotel Fundador: [broken link removed]

We are only 3 days in Chile. Not enough time to go north or south I presume. We were looking at San Marino Apart Hotel, in Santiago, but have heard nothing back from them. Are day tours worthwhile? A trip to a winery?

What time of year are you there ? - If it's in winter and you like skiing there's supposed to be some great ski places very close to Santiago and the wineries probably won't be so much fun at that time of year.

Two-Three days isn't really enough time to do much of Chile so sticking to Santiago and around is probably all you can do (You must be on a real whistlestop tour if you've only got 2/3 days in Chile as a whole :) )

Back