Change of contract???

amanda1k

Please bear with me this is slightly long
Have worked in my current job 6 years as a preschool teacher
Year 1 worked mon-fri 9-1

Year 2 service took on Montessori teacher, hours were 3 days 9-1 until mid year another member of staff left so I went back to mon-fri 9-1

Year 3 mon-fri 8.45-1, came in earlier to facilitate parents with children going to the local primary school, as told to by employer

For the past 3 years have worked 8.30-1, hours changed by employer without consultation, not huge deal but setting the tone.

Was pregnant in 2012, horrible pregnancy, and went on maternity early as felt it wasn't fair on work as I was still being sick 24/7 etc

Was due back before summer but holidays due so wasn't really due back till Sept, but in prior to coming back was diagnosed with PND and put on medication, doctor signed me off.

Doctor and I feel I'm good to go so due back and now we have the problem.

I've been informed that there aren't enough children attending so I can't have my full hours so I will have 2 mornings, the other hours she wants me to do in the afternoons.

There is NO preschool/Montessori in the afternoons

Several years ago she began an afterschool service and it has taken off, previously we have been given the option to do work in the afternoons cash in hand as it wasn't going through the books, I take it it must be now if she's forcing me to do it?

Although I have no physical contract, nor have I ever signed anything, I was originally taken on as a preschool teacher and I have had the same hours for 6 years with slight variations on start time butALWAYS finished at one.

I have been told that because I was out sick my employment is not protected but surely this is viewed as a change in my contract, without notice or agreement??????
HELP

My employer has just sent me a message saying I have not nor have I ever had a contract with her.
Even though I've worked there 6yrs, have payslips, P60, maternity forms all signed by her???????

My employer has just sent me a message saying I have not nor have I ever had a contract with her.
Even though I've worked there 6yrs, have payslips, P60, maternity forms all signed by her???????

I don't know why she thinks that is a good thing. It will go against her if you decide to take action.

A contract protects the employer more than the employee as when there's a grey area the default position is in favour of the employee.

Back