Urban Myth: Social Welfare pays €14k for a taxi for immigrant?

C

cerberos

A friend has just sold his car to an immigrant to use as a Taxi and received as payment a Social Welfare cheque for 14k.
Can anyone explain under what circumstances does this happen?
Do they get the Taxi 6k fee and the money for car as well?

Can any unemployed get this? Does it have to be means tested?

C

Re: taxi from Social Welfare

is he sure the cheque is valid and not a counterfeit?, there is a spate of fraudsters using counterfeit cheques to buy cars at the minute

A friend has just sold his car to an immigrant to use as a Taxi and received as payment a Social Welfare cheque for 14k.
Can anyone explain under what circumstances does this happen?
Do they get the Taxi 6k fee and the money for car as well?

Can any unemployed get this? Does it have to be means tested?

C

If your friend took a cheque for a car then your friend is a fool.

As Jaybird said, it's an urban myth that crops up from time to time. There are no allowances or payments of the type suggested by the OPs story.

It's possible that the car buyer received arrears of a SW claim which he or a family member had made and used the cheque to buy a car, but it's also possible that the cheque is fraudulent. There were bogus SW cheques in circulation about 2 years ago (and I'm sure the odd one still turns up now and again). The quality of those cheques was extremely good and they were very difficult to distinguish from the real thing.

I will recheck and confirm if cheque cashed good & story.

Also, Can Social Welfare poster shed some light on these stories?

Last edited by a moderator:

It wasn't for a taxi but i do know of someone that sold there car and was given a real social welfare check as part payment.

I remeber there being up-roar at the time that foreigners were being given tax payers money to buy cars.

The social welfare did respond and they said cheques were given for furniture and if they decided to spend that money on a car they couldn't stop this.

You can use that with CB aswell. I dont always spend my CB on the children, sometimes it's used to cover a bill. But it doesnt mean that my children are walking around without clothes that dont fit or hungry.

Alot of these stories are like chinese whispers is get worst the more it is told. I would take most of them with a pinch of salt.

Re: Social Welfare pays €14k for a taxi for immigrant?

Unless someone can provide evidence to the contrary the assertion by the OP is regarded as an Urban Myth.

As such Im moving the thread to LOS.

aj

Re: Social Welfare pays €14k for a taxi for immigrant?

Unless someone can provide evidence to the contrary the assertion by the OP is regarded as an Urban Myth.

As such Im moving the thread to LOS.

aj

There is definite proof.

A bloke down the road told me he met someone in the pub who told him there was.

Fact!!!

It is true that foreign nationals have been given money
to buy cars.I know of 2 cases where they were paid out
by the HSE.The reason being?????? the difficulties they
have experienced with public transport???

It is true that foreign nationals have been given money
to buy cars.I know of 2 cases where they were paid out
by the HSE.The reason being?????? the difficulties they
have experienced with public transport???

This is an urban myth - it is not true.

If I were to get a euro for every urban myth concerning social welfare/HSE and immigrants to this country I would be able to retire.

A few listed below:

African women get money from SW to get their hair beaded.
Immigrants get a €5000 to buy cars
Immigrants gets two flight vouchers a year for all their family to visit their country but most spend it on holidays to other countries
Women with new born babies can get as many, state of the art buggies as they want.
If you bring in a receipt from the supermarket the CWO will reinburse you.
Non Irish people automatically jump any waiting list for hospital or treatments
Immigrants get free mobile phone and an amount of their bills paid monthly.

I could go on.

Ruam

If SW or HSE dont buy cars for immigrants on SW, then who does? Refugee applicants frequenty drive cars - who pays for these?

If SW or HSE dont buy cars for immigrants on SW, then who does? Refugee applicants frequenty drive cars - who pays for these?

"Refugess applicants" pay for their own cars with their own money. It is an urban myth that the SW pays for them.

Ring a SW office and make an enquiry. They will tell you that they do not pay for these cars.

This is true. Believe me, I know it too be true as my uncle's wife's babysitters hairdresser told her it was true, so it must be.

Do any Irish people on social welfare drive cars? If so who pays for these?

Maybe we should have a means test for anyone driving and if their income isn't over a certain limit they can't drive. Might also help with traffic congestion.

Ruam

They do not get money for cars. It is correct that they get money for furniture. If they do not need the money for furniture, then it should not be paid out. Irish people get the money for furniture as well if it is required, so it is a SW issue rather than an imigration one. If Irish people do not need the money for furniture, then they should not get it either. They are getting cheques for furniture by saying they have no furniture and cant afford to buy any. If they have money and choose not to buy the furniture then they are lying and should not be paid. It is a discretionary payment rather than an entitlement.

Nobody should be allowed to use SW cheques to buy cars. They are not a necessity for people on SW. Plenty of people working cant afford to drive and have to use public transport.

Do any Irish people on social welfare drive cars? If so who pays for these?

Irish people may have owned a car before they lost their job and ended up on welfare. But obviously someone who's fleeing for their life with only the clothes on their back would not have one.

They do not get money for cars. It is correct that they get money for furniture. If they do not need the money for furniture, then it should not be paid out. Irish people get the money for furniture as well if it is required, so it is a SW issue rather than an imigration one. If Irish people do not need the money for furniture, then they should not get it either. They are getting cheques for furniture by saying they have no furniture and cant afford to buy any. If they have money and choose not to buy the furniture then they are lying and should not be paid. It is a discretionary payment rather than an entitlement.

Nobody should be allowed to use SW cheques to buy cars. They are not a necessity for people on SW. Plenty of people working cant afford to drive and have to use public transport.

Agree.

Back