Jobs for the weekend,what's yours??

F

flowerman

I just got a another large box of Allium bulbs and Camassia bulbs in from the UK....(courrier company is getting used to me now).:D

So my job for the weekend is to hopefully plant over 150 different Allium and Camassia bulbs.

Whats your gardening or DIY "job for the weekend"??:)

Putting up 6 new wall lights for hallway and living room. Luckily replacing old ones so wiring in place already.
If weather permits time to maybe get the outdoor Xmas lights up. That time of the year again.

"If weather permits time to maybe get the outdoor Xmas lights up. That time of the year again."

It is not that time of year again. you are two months early.

Putting up 6 new wall lights for hallway and living room. Luckily replacing old ones so wiring in place already.
If weather permits time to maybe get the outdoor Xmas lights up. That time of the year again.

Tis the season to be spooky.:D

Be carefull and be safe too.:)

batten down the hatches i hear there is a storm on te way :eek:

Heard that this morning allright,tail end of a hurricane to skirt off the south and west coast later on today and tonight.Then track accross the Irish sea into the UK.
Meant to be very heavy rain tonight too.

Xmas lights up and working. Took just over an hour. Another pain in the a** job ticked off the list.
Not too early - just didn't fancy being stuck up a ladder in 2 months time in colder weather and so on. Done now so - next?

Over the summer I rescued about 100 stakes from a skip about 18" long. I finally finished off trimming these down to the size I want and will make my 9th. raised bed for my veggies. I have also started taking in my garden furniture and other bits and pieces. My garage is pretty much choc a bloc at the moment. Pleased with the work done.

Xmas lights up and working. Took just over an hour. Another pain in the a** job ticked off the list.
Not too early - just didn't fancy being stuck up a ladder in 2 months time in colder weather and so on. Done now so - next?

We took out our Halloween box this weekend, and intend to put up a string of Halloween pumpkin lights next Friday.
The kids though did put up a halloween witch decoration on the front door.

I haven't thought about getting out the xmas tree yet though, as we are not as organised as you. Maybe you should just leave them up altogether seeing as they are up for 3 months why not an extra 9.

Are they some kind of Spring flower?

The various Allium varieties that I bought flower from late May/early June up to the end of July/very early August and the Cammasia flower from April up to early June.

https://www.rhs.org.uk/Plants/829/i-Allium-giganteum-i/Details

https://www.rhs.org.uk/plants/details?plantid=5253

Some of the Alliums I bought grow to 5 feet tall (Summer Drummer,Ambassador and Giganteum) while the Camassia grow to about 2 feet tall.The bees and hoverflies love them too,which is a great benefit and addition in our garden.
I also recently flooded an area of our front garden with 1200 Galanthus Vivalis Snowdrops,which I planted in under our Jacquemontii birch trees.These combined with the small scattered Blechnum Penn-Marina/New Zealand evergreen ferns and some old Yew tree tree stumps will give a nice countryside/woodland feel to that part of the the garden come January time.

Im actually going to collect more Snowdrops,Camassia Leichtlinii Caerulea and Camassia Alba bulbs today as I feel the garden could do with a few more.Ive gone a bit crazy on the garden bulb thing since we got our gardens created and landscaped.I have since got really interested in our gardens and into spending time out in them with my daughter doing gardening..My wife thinks Im going ott on the bulbs,but I could be spending money on worse things in life.

Left lights out for the whole year before and dodn't fair well with the weather etc. Have to laugh at the thought of Easter decorations though..LOL.
Big job this weekend is to get cutting wood that has been drying for a few months in the gargage. Wood came from a dismanteld workshop so needs to be de-nailed and cut to fit the stove. Looking forward to it>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Left lights out for the whole year before and dodn't fair well with the weather etc. Have to laugh at the thought of Easter decorations though..LOL.
Big job this weekend is to get cutting wood that has been drying for a few months in the gargage. Wood came from a dismanteld workshop so needs to be de-nailed and cut to fit the stove. Looking forward to it>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

A hint. We started the process of de-nailing wood from an old garden fence using a hammer. After a short while, we worked out it would take us more than a lifetime to ever get near the end of that project. Cue - crowbar,( the longer, the better) and bribing teenagers, to complete process in quick time.

Followed by the purchase of a circular saw - mind you the wood was all flat and no more than, at most, 10-12 cms deep. The saw is very dangerous so we stopped bribing teenagers at that stage.

Theres an awful lot of wood in an old garden fence! We reckon it will keep us in stove fuel for a few seasons.

You'll be glad you did it.

mf

I plan just to relax and watch a bit of soccer and rugby. Have a few pints and keep well within the safe limit. The mind and body needs a break now and then.

Theres an awful lot of wood in an old garden fence! We reckon it will keep us in stove fuel for a few seasons.
Be careful if it's treated wood/timber as it shouldn't be burned in open fires or in stoves, fireplaces, or residential boilers because toxic chemicals may be produced as part of the smoke and ashes.

Got a chippy friend of mine to get his opnion on weather the wood was treated. he reckons its not so based on this will be cutting all weekend.
+1 on the de-nailing but reckon with proper precautions the circular saw will make short work of it.

Be very carefull what you burn in your stove.
What seems like free firewood can in time wreck your stove and also the liner too,which in turn can create a serious chimney fire.
Pressure treated wood and wood with oil based paint on it is bad for both stove and liner too,as is old treated decking board and fencing.

Wood for a stove idealy needs to be below 15% moisture content in order for it to burn correctly and not damage the stove or the liner.The liner wont draw properly and in turn the stove wont burn to its full potential

I use old plain wood pallets for my kindling in my inset stove (not brown or blue treated pallets,as these have chemicals in them).
I break up the pallets in my garage and I leave them to dry for at least a year before using them for kindling.A euro pallet gives me about 6 large net bags of kindling.A chopsaw and then a small kindling axe are great for splitting the broken pallets into nice pieces of kindling.
I also burn a mixture of firewood from some large felled trees that I have and I also burn briquettes and stove coal.Tree trunks and large branches are cut up with the chainsaw,split with a Fiskars felling axe and then the chopped up firewood is left to air dry for a good 2 years.I regulary check moisture content with a moisture meter.

I buy the stove coal from the garden centre beside the Dart Station in Howth Village.The coal is called Agrina Ecobrite and its HETAS approved for use in stoves.This means its tested and certified for stove use.
Some serious heat from it.
I actually have my stove alite here with it as Im typing this post.:D

Back