Question on Joint Assessment (please help if you can)

tonyc

Hi all,

I've been out of work for a while now and I've been offered a job with a starting salary of €34500 pa (woo hoo) - My wife, earns around €32000 pa. We got married a few years ago and never changed our status with the revenue. We being assessed as single people.

My question is are we better off getting jointly assessed as a married couple. I've looked at some tax calculators online and I'd be better off to the tune of nearly an extra €100 a week if we were jointly assessed.

Can anybody shed any light on this. I'm clueless to be honest and can we claim back money from the revenue since we got married? In the fact that could we be owed money considering we were never jointly assessed.

I've spoken to one accountant, and some of what he said made sense, but I still don't understand much of it.

I'm looking forward to going back to work but this is a drop in my salary compared to the past, so I want to maximise it. Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

My question is are we better off getting jointly assessed as a married couple. I've looked at some tax calculators online and I'd be better off to the tune of nearly an extra €100 a week if we were jointly assessed.

You've answered your own question.

There is no financial sense in a married couple remaining separately assessed. (It may make sense for other reasons, eg if there is marital discord.)

Back