Is it time to cut my losses?

D

daywatch

I have been paying into an Irish Life ScopeSaver account for many years now. Each month I've put in a couple of hundred euro to spread the cost of buying shares over the the good and bad times.

Since the crash started in 2008, my shares have lost 30% of the price paid for them. They were starting to increase in value slightly until August when things started sliding big time again.

First time round I decided to weather the storm because shares always do well in the long term, right? Now I'm beginning to wonder whether that's going to be the case in the future.

I don't have an urgent need to cash in my shares and I'd rather not take the hit with the losses. But at this stage would it be more prudent to cut my losses and put the money elsewhere? And if so, where? Gold's bubble is probably close to popping. So what havens exist for savings that will return better than inflation and don't carry too high a risk?

Thanks for any pointers.

Gary

As I am new I cannot post links. Have a search for the "inflation bond" Eddie Hobbs was pushing back in July. There is a thread on here discussing it (like I said I can't post links).
Supposed to be government guaranteed , 100% of your investment + twice the rate of inflation locked in for 5 years. 10k minimum.

Marc gave a good analysis of this inflation tracker bond here.

As Hobbs was the voice in commercial advertising, for which I presume he got paid, personally I wouldn't pay that much attention to him, no more than I'd buy Lucozade just because some rugby player is being paid to tell me how refreshing it is.

Back