How to locate and destroy a wasp nest

JP1234

My husband got stung 3 times yesterday while mowing the lawn and we are almost sure we have a nest in the garden. We think the dog may also have been stung a couple of weeks back and she still won't go to one side of the garden. I say almost certain as although we can see plenty of wasp activity in one particular area with wasps flying in and out of the hedge ( which is backed by a dividing wall) we cannot see a nest, though the hedges are fairly thick so it could be hidden.

My husband is talking about cutting back the hedge to find the nest but I think that is foolish as it could anger the wasps. Someone else suggested going along after dark and spraying the wasp nest killer foam in the general area. Personally I favour getting someone in to do it properly.

I don't want to leave it as the neighbour on the other side of the wall is a child minder and would have children out in the garden a lot of the time and I would be afraid the wasps may attack them ( I do intend on warning her)

Has anyone any other suggestions/advice on how best to approach this?

"other side of the wall is a child minder and would have children out in the garden"

Get it removed ASAP!, end of Summer they start dying off and can be wicked. Foam is OK if you can get at the nest to spray it and retreat safely.

Husband going at the hedge to locate it is a brave decision.

Get it done professionally.

Last edited:
I agree about getting it moved as soon as I can. If it wasn't where it is I would probably leave it but I have told my neighbour to keep the children away from the wall for now.

Personally I think my husband is mad to even consider going near it, he has 3 huge lumps on his stomach where he got stung yesterday:eek:

Personally I think my husband is mad to even consider going near it, he has 3 huge lumps on his stomach where he got stung yesterday:eek:

He will have a few more if he attempts to remove the nest himself, they are wicked dangerous this time of the year, make a call to the professionals, it will cost a few bob but well worth it

I've heard these people are very good [broken link removed]

If you run the search option in this forum there are quite a number of threads on wasps and you may get some advice on how to deal with them.

Thanks for that, Abacus only have Dublin numbers so I presume they only cover the Dublin area, I have emailed them anyway, just to get an idea of cost. Rentokil are only open Mon-Fri, will try them tomorrow but I imagine they won't be there on a bank holiday.

I think I know where the nest is now, under a pile of cut grass my husband dumped there yesterday which is probably why he got attacked. I am afraid to go near the washing line as it's only about 10ft away from where they are active

Thanks for that, Abacus only have Dublin numbers so I presume they only cover the Dublin area

Not sure if they only cover Dublin area but they have a mobile no on their site so might be worth a try - 087 125 3845

If cost is an issuen buy a paper overall (paint suit) with a hood. Put on a pair of gloves , goggles etc. Get the wasp powder from the hardware and spray in the evening. If you can find the entrance to the nest , all the better, spray the powder around the entrance. As the wasps enter and leave they will bring the poison in to the nest.
Easy peasy.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Have emailed a couple of places for quotes. Don't want to leave it until they start to die off as they seem to be everywhere in the garden today.

I don't think this may be practical in your case, but I got rid of a nest by pouring in barbecue lighter fuel and burning them out.

That will work for sure. I finds that drowning them in Raid does the trick also.

I have removed a good few wasp nests and have always found burning them out is the best way , probably not the most educated way of removing them though.if it's in the garden and you have space get your husband out with a can of petrol over the area and burn them.

Obviously this won't work if near the house etc but if not it's the cheapest option?As computerman says though if your tackling them make sure youre well protected ,.

Burning them is not an option as it could set the whole garden up and is too near the oil tank!

We went out late last night and cut back the bush as much as we could but we still can't see the nest. Am waiting for people to get back to me today regarding prices, though at this stage I would be willing to pay anything!

Our biggest problem right now is finding the nest, we can see the wasps going in and out of the bush but no idea where they are hiding!

Stay away from it with petrol (as advised above) .... you'd be asking for trouble.

Get the professional in .... they'll make sure to get rid of them.

I've had dealings with Rentokil ... they'll make a free return visit if the wasps return.

At least that was the promise they made at the time ... ask them this if you are thinking of getting them.

JP1234, this is a totally contrarian view but if you can section -off that area why not leave the nest alone? I have had several nests over the years, including under the eaves, and, as long as I've left the wasps alone, they haven't bothered me at all. I have never been stung at all, and there is a nest somewhere nearby the garden even now.

Many people have an irrational fear of wasps. But they are extremely useful insects and will never attack unless they feel threatened. For gardeners, they are incredibly useful in killing pests. In fact, I like having a nest nearby, and if they fly around me, I ignore them. They are looking for food and aren't instinctively hostile to people.

Do NOT use petrol, you will be asking for trouble, fire & insurance, personal injury, can't advise too strongly.
Get a professional with proper indemnity.

Our biggest problem right now is finding the nest, we can see the wasps going in and out of the bush but no idea where they are hiding!

Capture a wasp and tie a thread to its tail and let it return to nest! ;)

Back