Lap Top

MaryBe

My son aged 16 is looking for a lap top for Christmas. Can anybody give me some advise on the best buy. He wants a wireless lap top to download music and videos/films. He has the PS3 but cannot download the volume he wants.
I'm not very literate on the mechanics of his requirements. Any help would be appreciated.

Many thanks

My son aged 16 is looking for a lap top for Christmas. Can anybody give me some advise on the best buy. He wants a wireless lap top to download music and videos/films. He has the PS3 but cannot download the volume he wants.I'm not very literate on the mechanics of his requirements. Any help would be appreciated. Many thanks
Just about any laptop will do that as long as it has 'WiFi' and your house also has WiFi installed, attached to a broadband connection in your house.

Brands like Acer, Compaq and Toshiba are usually reliable and good value. Mostly, you can just select by price and what looks right to you. Don't get bamboozled by features or 'extras', as at the budget-end, the machines are almost identical.

But, why can't he download directly to the PS3? Is there a problem with the WiFi/broadband in the house?

Just about any laptop will do that as long as it has 'WiFi' and your house also has WiFi installed, attached to a broadband connection in your house.

Brands like Acer, Compaq and Toshiba are usually reliable and good value. Mostly, you can just select by price and what looks right to you. Don't get bamboozled by features or 'extras', as at the budget-end, the machines are almost identical.

But, why can't he download directly to the PS3? Is there a problem with the WiFi/broadband in the house?
Hi Technologist,
Many thanks for your feedback. We have wireless broadband and my son connects his PS3 through it. He is constantly asking his older sister for her lap top to download music and in turn down load to his ipod. I think this is why!!!! MaryBM

The dell inspiron is available in Currys/PC world at 500 euros, seems like a good enough spec for what you want. Has built-in camera as well.

You'll get even cheaper on the Dells if you explore the site in detail. Have a look at the Vostro's in the small business section, for example, bearing in mind that the prices are ex-VAT. Anyone can buy them though.

This isn't a direct recommendation of Dell btw, their customer support is horrendous by all accounts, but I have a rake of them and they generally just work.

adam

I am also buying my daughter a laptop for xmas.

Our company IT consultant , has told me NOT to buy Dell for home use .
He recommends to go for HP , Compaq or Toshiba only.

I have already been to PC World and i now believe the best buy in laptops is a Compaq , It is priced at 550 euro .

That does not make any sense to me.

A few years ago dells were stuck together with sticky tape (the same could be said about Compaq or Toshiba) , but now they make quality laptops.

I'm on my third Dell laptop and have always found Dell's after sales service second to none. Granted .... I did have the additional cover/insurance but any difficulties I ever had were always dealt with promptly.

What I like about Dell .... I can build my own system.

A contented Dell customer here.

Avoid dell like the plague, their customer service is horrendous if you have problems. Also find Dell expensive, they offer poor spec laptops and prices are high for what you get. DID have great value on a Sony laptop for €549. Great spec and everything you need.

A very satisfied Dell customer here also.

May not suit what you're looking for but I too like to 'build/customise' my own machines and Dell suits me well for that.

The after sales insurance is a must.

I did have a need to get the service guy to call, part replaced .... quite quickly and no additional cost to me.

Only downside ..... trying to understand the accents of the Indian salespeople. Having overcome that I am 100% happy with Dell.

And I will buy from them again.

... He recommends to go for HP , Compaq or Toshiba only. ...
I would second that endorsement - build quality, reliability, support and maybe not so important these days, longevity.

I have a Compaq lap-top, early 90's vintage running Windows 3.x, that works! The batteries still charge and retain their charge quite well and the fax-modem still connects and sends and receives faxes.

HP although owning the Compaq brand and company, never killed off the brand due its positive reputation, primarily with business users.

I've had numerous Dell laptops & desktops during the years both personal and business, all very high spec, without any problems, including customer care. They're generally my first choice, particularly since Lenovo took over IBM's laptop/desktop division and ruined the ThinkPad range.

I work in the IT sector - occasionally we fix the employee's personal lap-tops.
I would not recommend HP to anyone, they seem to give the most trouble, I would recommend Dell and Acer, there is great deals at the moment in PC World, Aldi etc.

I also have had a number of Dell laptops,and I can only complement the quality of there products and there after sales service.
Another point I would like to mention is that Dell have a hell of a lot of Irish people employed in this country,in not only assembly but also in R/D so I feel a slight seance of loyalty to them.
I also accept that a number of the other manufacturers have some form of activity in this country.

PS..I am not an employee of Dell just in case anyone has that way of thinking.

Back