Home Insurance Premium Increase

I rang Aviva today to query my increase and was told there were not budging on it either. I mentioned a quote I had got from another company offering the exact same amount of cover but was almost €150 cheaper ... but again they said there was no room for change. So all in all it looks like I'll be switching insurance company.

Henry Cats please ensure that the terms of your new insurer are not in any way less than your current insurer.

We were with 123.ie but their renewal quote was €300 more, so I did a lot of shopping around & moved to Allianz Direct. €50 more expensive than last year's policy but we upped our contents & all risks significantly in the process.

I did this comparison on 123.ie:

And if you live in D24 - you pay €517 on buildings 200,000 and contents 35k in Dublin 6 - you pay €243

I just thought you might be interested in this. I checked out a home insurance co for an online quote,
for a 2 bed semi-d Buildings €215000, contents 25000 and I got the following, based on changing the postal code and then selecting suburb from dropdown list. For those not familiar, Kimmage is beside Terenure, & Crumlin is beside Kimmage

Kimmage Dublin 12 : €288.32
Kimmage Dublin 6w : €386.65
Terenure Dublin 6w : €386.65
Crumlin Dublin 12 : €306.17
Drimnagh Dublin 12 : €297

So people who like their fancy 6W post code are paying for it :)

I never realised quotes could change that much for neighbouring areas.

It gets harder with a claims history, nobody will touch you. Looks like the 50% increase will have to be swallowed until I have 3 years claim free. Unless people can suggest a provider other than 123.ie

S.

I am not sure does anyone have any opinions - got a quote for house ins from my present provider Aviva of +500e, up on last year, so checked with simplydirect, they quoted same over 100e cheaper - guess who the poilicy underwriter was? - Aviva my present provider - wtf???

this happens a lot, direct and broker pricing can be alot different. For the majority of Irish insurance companies the brokerage side of the business is alot bigger than the direct side which means there is far more room for movement with brokers.

You will also find that at different times brokers have special discounts if they have started up a new relationship with a major company, hope that helps

Thanks for the reply Gooner, I guess the real concern with any insurance, is how well it comes through in the doomsday scenario, house gutted by fire etc. - hope I never find out!!!

seems to me this happens every single year with me for both house and car insurance, in a fair market insurance should drop every year as thankfully never had to claim of either , however every year without fail both increase significantly 15-25%, then I call around a couple or online quotes(couple of times didnt bother) and then go back to orginal insurer or whomever and they drop quote. I assume they try this with everyone as maybe 1 in 5/10/20 just renew without checking others prices or don't recall what they paid one year ago. In other words its underhanded sneakiness which is theft in the same way as shortchanging a tourist is because they are unfamiliar with the currency.

Couldn't agree with you more Potnoodler!
Its such a waste of time and the 123 person I have spoken to over the last few years has admitted as much.
This time again it jumped up (no change % in sums insured) Rang back and the offered to review and reduce - I told them I am pi**ed off wasting my time every year doing this , said as much to them. Going with Getcover this year.

seems to me this happens every single year with me for both house and car insurance, in a fair market insurance should drop every year as thankfully never had to claim of either , however every year without fail both increase significantly 15-25%, then I call around a couple or online quotes(couple of times didnt bother) and then go back to orginal insurer or whomever and they drop quote. I assume they try this with everyone as maybe 1 in 5/10/20 just renew without checking others prices or don't recall what they paid one year ago. In other words its underhanded sneakiness which is theft in the same way as shortchanging a tourist is because they are unfamiliar with the currency.

I don't quite see why this is 'theft'. Insurance companies are businesses trying to maximise their profits. Presumably like any other business, they charge what the market will bear. In this case, there are a number of 'markets' i.e. some customers who are not particularly price sensitive/price aware and will just continue paying whatever amount shows up on their annual premium and other customers who are price savvy and look around for the best bargains. Why is that theft? Would you think that for instance, a bathroom showroom which sells a bathroom suite and tiles to someone who accepts the ticket price on the items and doesn't ask for a discount, is stealing from the customer?

I don't quite see why this is 'theft'. Insurance companies are businesses trying to maximise their profits. Presumably like any other business, they charge what the market will bear. In this case, there are a number of 'markets' i.e. some customers who are not particularly price sensitive/price aware and will just continue paying whatever amount shows up on their annual premium and other customers who are price savvy and look around for the best bargains. Why is that theft? Would you think that for instance, a bathroom showroom which sells a bathroom suite and tiles to someone who accepts the ticket price on the items and doesn't ask for a discount, is stealing from the customer?

I do regard this as sneaky theft, the tiles analogy you portray is not a fair comparison, the insurance hikes happen on a renewal basis and attempt to fly in under the radar without the consumer being aware.
True, some are more savvy than others but that hardly makes it right , ya could say that about a dodgy taxi driver in Cuba, the practice is wrong and turns my stomach, insurance companies then are the ones who coin that phrase "utmost good faith"

Back